Filament leaking

Please Login to Comment

As the filament is heating up, a little bit is leaking out causing it to mess up the entire print.

Please provide a bit more info. Is this happening when changing filament mid-print? Wanted to be certain where in the process this filament leaking is happening.

Is it a problem at the start of the print or is it something that happens during printing?
Pleas share some more info. a picture of the mess:)

Hey there!
Would you please share your print settings and tell us what filament you are using? Otherwise it will be hard to try to give some advice.
Mostly it depends on your print temperature and your retraction settings for your extruder.
Cheers
Alex

I'm using Gizmo Dorks 1.75mm filament at 200 degrees Celsius and it's happening as the filament is heating up and then when it's time for the printing to start, the filament that already extruded from the nozzle is in the way so eventually the filament falls off after the print started but then it's just a stringy mess on the printing bed.

Do you have this issue also during printing?This is caused by the rest of filament stuck inside the nozzle. If it is only before each print this will always be the case. If you won't extract the filament out of the nozzle after each print this will always happen. This is caused by the rest of filament stuck inside the nozzle. During preheating the already inserted filament will not be retracted by the extruder just because the filament is not warm enough. This may be changed by adjusting the g-code itself after slicing, but the effort is not neccesary i would say.
I would recommend by the time between pre-heating and actual printing to remove the leaked filament quickly so the printer can start with a clean nozzle.

This issue is only before print and I've tried to quickly snip off the filament but it leaks so fast that it just comes right out again before the print started.

There is filament in the nozzle from the previous print. As your nozzle heats up, it causes the filament in the nozzle to liquify and ooze out the nozzle. There is no issue with your printer or the filament you are using, it is just physics. What I do is I have gcode at the end of my print to retract the filament 10mm. This will remove the filament from the nozzle so on the next start there is no filament in the nozzle to ooze out while heating. You will need gcode at the start of the print job to "prime" the filament, this can be a brim, skirt or raft. I actually use a priming line on the left side. In my slicing software, Cura, I have start and end gcode that does all of this for me.

Start G-code
G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
G1 Z2..0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
G1 X0.1 Y60 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to start position
G1 X0.1 Y200.0 Z0.2 F1500.0 E15 ; Draw the first line
G1 X0.4 Y200.0 Z0.2 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little
G1 X0.4 Y60 Z0.2 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line
G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
G1 X5 Y70 Z0.2 F5000.0 ; Move over to prevent blob squish

End G-code
G91 ;Relative positioning
G1 E-2 F2700 ;Retract a bit
G1 E-8 Z0.2 F2400 ;Retract and raise Z

Have you tried lowering your hotend temperature; maybe by about 5 degrees? It might make the filament fluid enough to be extruded but not too "runny". I typically print regular PLA at around 195C, and PLA+ at around 200C, but it varies by brand.

Yes I've tried lowering the temperature but it still leaked.

I agree with Kelvin. May a temperature tower could help not in the way it is usually used, but you can see if your printer is also able to produce a good quality at lower temperaturers. By checking your mentioned filament, as from the producer, he recommends a temperature for his PLA at 190-215°C so you shouldn't be scared for lower temp prints.
You can find a easy temp tower for PLA in here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2493504

Temp Tower PLA,ABS,PETG

just my 2 cents... Over pressure in nozzle perhaps, maybe incorrect e-steps along with incorrect z-offset?

Sounds to be more than oooze, even if hotend is a little too warm cleaning with tweezers just as it comes to the bed to start a print is normally enough to stop anything getting dragged around, right?

Also agree, a little more useful info goes a long way to diagnosing and less throwing darts with a blindfold XD