Adding different powders to PLA

Please Login to Comment

Its possible to go to the beach with a magnet and pull metal powders from the sand. These vary from place to place so it might be useful to know about how to mix them into pellets and get a metallic filament.

This could do the mixing in easier way. You need a printer with XY moving printbed and Z-axis capable for high load.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3345012
At ebay there is iron powder and Fe2O3 powder with fine quality. I feel, mixing in this extruder will be possible but not be a good result. You have to look for metal-filled pellets or masterbatches. This exists for mass-production but it may be hard to buy 1kg. Ask for samples. Making this running would become a research work.
Filaments with metal-filling are available.

Pellets Granulate Extruder for 3d Print
by faggahz

I like your work and hope for more of your ideas here.
I am going for the developing markets, so minimal cost is the objective.
Shipping powders (and components) is too costly and if someone is getting it for free, they will be inspired.
Thinking on a larger scale, I think filling an already made 'C' profile filament with the powder will be most accessible, your extruder will be good for this. Maybe it could be hand cranked and solar heated also. Just need the C profile die/tip.
If sand can be used in the filament, it really opens the possibilities up for larger scale printing.
Thanks.

Gathering iron from beach sand should be easy. The challenging part would be dispersing them evenly in filament while keeping particle sizes small enough to not clog. Actually, now that I think of it beach sand wouldn't be the best due to the magnetite it usually contains. It would be hard to separate from iron, and that stuff would probably clump together in the melt zone and clog stuff up. Probably iron fillings would be your best bet.

Absolutely possible to gather iron and magnetite from a beach with a magnet. The hard part would be developing a suitable process to evenly disperse the particles in filament, while keeping the particle size small enough to not clog a nozzle. That seems like quite an engineering challenge to me... but anything is doable with enough resources.

I would think its possible to extrude a 'C' shaped filament and put a cap on it after filling it, the powder could be ground to consistent size I assume, and it's free. Filament could be similar to a pencil, would need to be a larger diameter, but then, maybe larger scale stuff can be realized. Maybe some sort of mixer as it extrudes.

I'm sure it is possible but I have no idea how you would do the mixing.

I had an idea for a neat 3D printing business. Mix the cremated remains of your loved ones (or pets) into a filament.
Similar problem, how would you do the mixing and would the differences in ashes affect printability?

lol, dead relatives are in short supply.
I'm more focused on developing economies and this idea is a free resource if the stars align.

My wife told me she wasn't interested in being extruded.

Here in East Texas we have a lot of iron and iron oxide in our sandy soil. I've used a magnetic sweeper to pick up iron pieces. It works really well.
I then used a propane torch to heat up the iron pieces (oxidized and not) to process it into non-oxidized iron. Needs much more heat than a torch to do it properly, but it did work.

Your idea can work, all the steps are doable. The actual procedure? Well that would have to be worked out.

So its possible to make any metalic parts with lost wax or thin walled PLA print in sand.

Yes, my wife told me she wasn't interested in being extruded.

In East Texas, we have a lot of iron in our sandy soil. I've used a magnetic sweeper to pick up pieces of iron from the soil. It works really well.

I used a propane torch to heat up the iron pieces (oxidized and not) to process it into non-oxidized iron. Needs much more heat than a torch to do it properly, but it did work.

Your idea can work, all the steps are doable. The actual procedure? Well that would have to be worked out.

I'm low on resources atm, can you try that with a thinnest possible wall print in sand?
Could be on to something here.

I will have to decline at this time.
I don't have any experience in fabricating filament, or adding material to filaments.

I meant just melt some metal and see if a thin walled print would work in place of lost wax, if you have the resources.

I'm low on resources atm, can you try that with a thinnest possible wall pint in sand?
Could be on to something here.

Comments deleted.
Comments deleted.