Baby Walker incremental wheel movement

Please Login to Comment

Hi, I'm trying to get into 3d printing so I can bring my ideas to life. I recently had a baby boy who has started learning to walk.

Problem: His walker moves forward (or backwards) when pushed (pulled) in an uncontrolled manner. When my son attempts to pull himself up or stabilise himself, the walker shoots forward, resulting in him falling over.

I would like to design and 3d print a mechanism which attaches to the wheels of the walker (simple wooden walk bought from Amazon) which controls its forward and backward movement.

Ideally, I would like the walker to move forward, inch by inch, and only when forward force is applied.

I'm a complete newbie and don't have any engineering knowledge. However, to illustrate some of the mechanisms I thought I might need I have attached a few pictures.

Can anyone please help me?

Hi Moshjoshuk,
Can I suggest that a simple tension device on 1 or 2 wheels would suffice. I have modified several of these devices for my grandchildren and that works fine. Once they have their balance a bit better you can then remove it or reduce the tension. I use a piece of brake pad from a push bike mounted on a pivot with adjustable tension. While you designs are quite good, as an engineer it is common to see people over design and complicate simple challenges in design. Just remember the KISS principle is usually the best. (Keep It Simple St###d). I train all my students/apprentice this way.

This last picture is definitely the way you can do it. But i would ad four metal springs, because these rubber break a lot.

Also, if you install this mechanism, it will allow movement in only one direction.

There are ways to make it go back and front and with diferent speeds.
Best thing to do here is to connect 4 generators to the wheel. and make it produce light and sound as he runs it, it would also lower the speed, but it could go both ways.

Hi Rob, as you kindly mentioned I will email you with pertinent questions once I get the ball rolling, updating this post as I go along.

My personal advice to you is: if you want to 3D print your mechanisms, and your designs... 1. thing you should do: go to: tinkercad.com and watch couple of tutorials. In about 25 minutes of tutorials you could get the knowledge how to design 99% of the basic objects in universe.

No, it's true.

To make something unique (your prototype) you need to model it first.
And that's why you need to get good at 3D modeling.

1. thing is to get a 3D printer. I personally recomend prusa mk3s+ kit.

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-kit-3/

It costs about 750 euros/dollars and you need to assemble it by your self. if you want it assembled, wich is better 200 euros plus. also if you want it to print more colors/materials at once plus 200 euros.

Don't buy cheap printers, they are just a waste of time.

you can do both of those steps at the same time...
You first learn to print other peoples projects, and while they are printing (printing takes a lot of time) you start by modeling your basic prototypes.

When you model, try to think of as many things as you can, because you can loose a lot of material on simple mistakes.
Think of every screw, and where the things are gonna touch.

Star with keychains and post it holders...

Also, you need to look at some of the mechanical principles.

But, you want be able to do that thing your son needs before he walks.

Or you maybe could if you just start modeling and hire someone to 3D print it for you ( more expensive option).

umno.ploce@gmail.com is my mail if you need more info.

Hi Rob, Thank you for reaching out to me. What sound and practical advice, excellent.

Would you happen to know any good video on 3d modelling, pitched at an absolute beginner?

I had in mind to buy the Prusa mini (size wise more than anything else), but if it would be a wasted venture the MKS3 would be my next pick (I'll email you to hear your thoughts on this).

Will keep this post updated with my progress, so other newbie Dads or Mums can hit the floor running.

Thank you, best Josh

Tinkercad.com is an online cad design program. You can use it on all computers witouth installation. It saves ypur progres all the time,and i personally use it exclusively. On the web page you have integrated tutorials. I
prOmise you, you will have your first design in 20 minutes. There is no need for instalation.

For the wheels, you could just attach some rubber, so it slows them by friction.

And for the printer, if you have money, get a bigger and better prusa, preassembled with multi colors.
Smaller one is ok,but a lot of time you needa bigger build plate. There are some times when this one is not enough.
And its not that big. Also, be carefull with the fumes. Lo tof people saythat pla is ok to print in house,but i really dont think you shoul. If possible, leave it in a garage, and ventilate, but there should be absolute zero draft on the printer. I believe it has some influence on the respiratory system. Dont recomend experimenting on self.

And for multimaterial add on, you have this soluble material that you can use as support. It desolves in water so its much easier to remove the supports.
Its a very nice feature if you have money.
Also you can make your designs a lot nicer, by using two colors, or more?

Go to tinkercad.com and make a profile. In 20 minutesof tutorial on the page you becomea master. Itsall logic from there, very simple to use.