FILAMENT FEEDING TIP

Please Login to Comment

I have had my printer for 8 days now and gone through many issues. There is one that is not clear in the instructions and you need to know:

There are TWO white feeding tubes for the filament. I thought the second was a spare. It is NOT a spare. It goes up in the filament holder. Once you connect the tube with the threaded bushing into the printer head, then you use the tube that has no bushing up in the reel housing. Feed the new filament through this tube which sits loosely in the housing. Then feed the filament into the feeder hole as instructed. Once the filament has reached the print head, slide the loose tube up against the feeder hole and then place the reel into the housing and close the door. This has made a HUGE difference in smooth feeding of the filament for me!

I was using the white filament that I bought and had no real problems with printing. Clicking sound yes, but no problems printing. When I ran out of white and had to change, that is where the problem began.

I tried the clear filament, had problems, wouldn't feed through to the extruder, kept clicking, and clicking and nothing coming out, gave up thinking it might be a bad filament so I changed to the black filament, printed okay for a few but then bad clicking and bad adhesion prints left my prints to be worthless.

Read your post and decided why not, put the "spare" feeding tube on and went back to the clear and Viola....its printing and No Frigging clicking sound at all. Next is the Universal Filament Filter, and see if that increases the stability of prints and adhesion problems.

Thanks.....

I experienced similar issues when I first got the printer. Now, with the filter/oiler, I use many different colors and brands of PLA with no problems. Glad it's beginning to work out for you. Keep trying. Don't give up. You will end up satisfied once you get all the tricks figured out.

Thanks, I'm very confused with this too.

One important note: If you are using a spool that does NOT fit nicely in the top area, do NOT use the exra filament feeding tube. I ended up with about 5+ bad prints before I realized what was happening.

The symptom you'll audibly here if this is a problem, is a clicking noise coming from the feeder. It won't be constant, but it will happen frequently.

I was having this problem too, especially with one specific spool of Hatchbox transparent black PLA. I believe I have solved it though. I printed this universal filament filter:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:492067

I stuffed in some very light sponge packing material I had laying around, added a couple drops of canola oil, and installed it right before the feed hole and after the extra feeding tube. It worked like a charm! It also works the same way with the Flux brand spools. I put the extra white tube on the filament, then pass the filament through the filter/oiler, then feed it into the machine. I haven't heard any of those horrible feeder clicks in the last 14 or so hours of near nonstop prints! It's like a friggin miracle I tell ya!

Universal Filament Filter and Lubricator

Also had massive Problems with clicking and poor extrusions after several hours of printing.
Comepletely solved with this thing. Thank you so much for this awesome tip!

I am SO trying this tonight!

I just ran another 11 hour print with this installed on the same filament that was giving me a LOT of trouble. It went splendidly! (It was the self-watering plant holder thing. I'll post the make after work today)
I'm not 100% on the warranty status if you oil your filament, but it has been night and day for me. I certainly recommend it. Good luck!

Well, I am on my SECOND machine after having it replaced for lines of bad printing, failed extrusion of filament... and then finally a dead WiFi/USB in the FLUX. But the second machine was doing little better in the extrusion arena with over 50% of my models failing because of the damned knocking and sputtering on some layers... with one entire model that extruded only 5mm out of a 5CM model!

Now I am into my first print using the oiler... not a bump, no a ping, not a crack... and so far it sounds smoother than before! I will post more later on as I get into a LARGE print overnight.

This may be the best tip on the FLUX so far!

I'm really glad it's working out for you. I was leery at first, but did some digging. Many people seem to think it doesn't do much, but several others had results similar to ours. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. Like you said, it was a tremendous improvement. But, like I said, I've been hesitant to scream it from the rooftops since I'm not sure how the Flux guys will feel about us doing this. I agree though, this is the best thing that's happened to my printer yet. I've had all sorts of connection and wifi issues as well, but can usually get it worked out with enough attempts. That feeding problem was the only real worry I had and this oiler solved it for me. The feeder motor does sound a little bit different, but I attribute this to the minimally increased resistance on the filament. Either way, I've got a good 30 hours of printing with this installed now and haven't had a single feed problem since. Results seem to indicate this is exactly what we all need. Cheers! - Nate

This is a massive tip!!! Thank you so much :)

Can you post a picture of this. I'm not quite following on where that second tube goes, as they don't seem to mention it in any of the documentation.

Sure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k51njaebwczu28w/2nd%20feed%20tube.jpeg?dl=0

I know it doesn't seem to make sense looking at it and trying to figure out what difference it could make. But it does make a difference.

The picture definitely helps. Thanks!