Overcoming magnetic repulsion through linear control

Please Login to Comment

One of the problems with permenate magnetic motor/generators is that of over coming the initial repulsive force at the start of the power cycle.

I want you to try a little experiment.

Take two 1/4 inch dia magnets and hold them opposite one another so that they repell. You can feel the force they exert on each other when you try to push them closer. OK, nothing new here. Next you will need some steel strips of various thicknesses. Start with a 1/8 inch thick strip and place the magnets on either side so that they repell each other through the steel strip. Depending on the strength of your magnets you may feel a reduction in the force needed to keep the magnets in contact with the steel strip. Now double the thickness of the steel strip and try the magnets again. You might notice that it takes less force to keep the magnets in contact with the steel strip. Keep increasing the thickness of the steel strip until the magnets are both equally attracted to the steel and repulsed by each other, effectively creating a magnetic null.

Now there are two ways one might apply this null towards a working magnetic motor/generator. First you could gradually reduce the thickness of the steel strip along its length so that the magnets start out at the thick end where attraction/repulsion create a null, and become ever more repulsed as they move along the steel strip towards the thinner end. The varying thickness of the steel strip having provided a linear reduction in magnetic shielding with a corresponding linear increase in magnetic repulsive force.

Secondly you could maintain the thickness of the steel strip along its entire length so that the magnetic null extends the full length of the steel strip and then tapper the width of the steel strip so that the magnets become increasingly exposed to one another as they move from the wide end of the steel strip to the narrow end of the steel strip. This again creates a linear increase in magnetic repulsive force.

Do you see how this might be applied to a rotating magnetic motor /generator to ease the transition from low repulsive force at the end of the power cycle and the high repulsive force at the start of the next power cycle?

Silly me, I thought I had come up with something new when I applied this concept to a recent prototype build. With an even number of magnets on the rotor and an odd number of coils, I was able to place a magnet in repulsion to each rotor magnet when he rotor magnet came into alignment with a generator coil, so that while the magnet on the rotor was attracted to the steel core of the coil, the magnet directly across the rotor from it was repulsed by the opposition magnet. It reduced the amp draw of the motor by about 40% and increased the rpm's of the motor, thus giving me an output power increase on the generator coils.

Adams pulsed electric generator.

I've seen this principle applied as a kinetic sculpture. The magnets repell, causing linear motion that is geared into rotational motion to move an iron circle between the magnets causing mutual attraction. The pull of the two magnets is timed to coninue the rotaton of the iron circle out of the way before the magnets connect, causing another repulsion cycle. The device looked as close to perpetual as i have ever seen, though i doubt very much that enough mechanical surplus existed to do more than drive the next cycle.

I just joined this group because I find this facinating.

This was meant to make it easier to start an electric motor spinning? Fancy.

I'm not sure if you could use this principle to generate electricity from nothing, but imagine instead going for motor efficiency?

How does this principle affect the magnets as they move, while the poles are not facing each other? Wouldn't you get the same attraction/pull back when you start going away from the magnet?

The magnets can be moved parallel to the surface of the metal without any resistance. Trying to increase the distance between the metal and the magnet would create more resistance.

The idea is to use pairs of magnets in nether attractive or repulsive modes and adjust the thickness of the metal between them so that its permeability neutralizes the attraction or repulsion of the magnets.