need designer help

Please Login to Comment

sti design alteration
i want to add slots to this design but cannot find a option to create this do i need to create a mask ,sorry for ignorance but new to design software and want to manipulate current edit/alter sti designs

I had to write down the steps to this for myself because there are a few of them!

1. Import the .stl file into FreeCAD, you can do this by dragging-and-dropping.
  2. Go to the Part workbench.
  3. Click on the object in the Part Tree on the left to highlight it.
  4. On the top menu, click on Part>Create Shape From Mesh.
  5. Enter a tolerance. .01 is the most precise, default is .10. Click OK.
  6. In the Part Tree, you now have a new object. You can delete the original object just above it, as you won't need that anymore.
  7. Highlight the new object and go to Part>Convert to Solid.
  8. Once again, you have a new object in the Part Tree. This time it has (Solid) after it's name. Once again, highlight and delete the previous object which is just above it in the Part Tree.
  9. Highlight the (Solid) object in the Part Tree and go to Part>Refine Shape.
  10. Yet again you'll have a new object in the Part Tree. Again you can delete the old one.
  11. Now go to the Part Design workbench.
  12. Highlight your object in the Part Tree and click the "Create a New Body and Make it Active" button on the toolbar. It's the button with the blue boxy sort of legend on it.

You should now be able to edit your file.

Hi guys, Just a point, why is freecad not in the design software list / whereas openscad is..????

You cannot edit an .stl file directly with FreeCAD. This format must first be converted to a format that can be edited by FreeCAd. Google for: "freecad stl to solid" or search for corresponding videos.