Need help with 3Dlabprint P-47 battery hatch mod.

Please Login to Comment

Ok, I am fairly new to printing and CAD. I have only been at it since April. I have made a cut and separated the Fuselage then added support to the parts. When I save it as a STL everything looks great on the build plate of S3D but when I have it slice it does not come out. Please help and if possible tell me what was done and how it was done.

Here is the largest part

I looked at your example in S3D - it says there are many self-intersecting surfaces. This can happen when editing STL files. Especially 3DLabprint files because they publish them in a special non-manifold way, probably to reduce people editing them.

So, I guess that I am where I thought I might be on a total design copy making my own to best match the rest of the plane.

Wish 3Dlabprint guys were actually RC pilots and would realize how much of a PITA it is to drop a wing with servo wires, gear wires and light wires every time you go to fly just for a battery.

It slices for me, But you made it to thin. So once sliced it is missing some parts. You will need to make it thicker before exporting.
Any idea how thick you made it?
It kinda seems like some areas have a thickness of zero or very very low.

this is the original piece and the piece with the top cut out prior to supports being done. the photo is not that piece but to show that that thin wall does print.

Depending on what part you speak of I made or didn't make. This is a modification of an existing design by 3dlabprint. The majority of what I have made have the circles cut out of it. That is .4mm extrusion. The only part that has circles I didn't make is the support that runs from end to end in one width. I will add the original piece for you all to see.

I had a look at your stl . It looks like you used a thicken command in Fusion, that later failed, maybe after you did some revisions that it couldn't resolve back into a mesh. I don' think this is your slicing softwares issue.

As a general comment on FDM 3D printing structural parts is that especially when printing thin parts you get the best result when you respect the grain of the material. The internal buttressing you are drawing is very elegant, but it treats the fdm as though it were as homogenous as sheet metal. I'd suggest printing a few business card size parts, flat on the bed, and standing vertically, add some lightening holes, and bend them till they fail.

Yes, I knew that this was not a slicer problem. When I pull this into mesh mixer or even print studio I see multiple errors. Problem is that I have not been able to come up with a solution to the errors that does not effect weight or form. Not sure what of the internal structure you are speaking of. some of it is my addition and some is theirs.

I am not understanding what you want.
Unless you just want someone to confirm that you have a drawing problem in Fusion. It's not that unusual to edit a drawing, even changing a minor feature, and have that trigger some problem earlier on.

In Fusion, if you are using the timeline feature, look for a red block over a thicken command.

If my mind reading has failed here and I'm way off, you might want to add some description to your situation.

I really am not sure where the problem is. I believe it is that I am creating an open mesh.

What I am hoping is that someone take my idea, or even what I have and run with it. I know I am at a loss but would really love to have this mod and am very sure many others who have bought the plane would too. I could add the original file and then they remove the top and make it so a battery can be put in from the top rather than wing removal every time. The square area in the center is where the battery is supposed to sit in their design.

As I look at your part, what I'm guessing is that you imported a mesh of a fuselage, sliced part of it out, added the battery carrier and supports and got to where you are at now?

I agree with you, probably when you sliced the mesh, you created an open object. In Fusion, imported meshes can be a pain to work with. In your case what you may have is just one side of a mesh, and so you might be able to thicken it , then use the combine command to join it with the internals and get a printable file.

mostly correct. I imported the mesh fuselage and most of the internals were already there. This is a flyable design I only added the bracing where bracing was needed after the top was sliced off. I have tried to thicken the outer shell but it didn't seem to help. In order to keep everything matching and weight down I had to thicken in and needed to keep it .4mm thick.

I'd suggest keeping at it, good learning experience to be found here. At this stage I'd suggest you think through the drawing process, and consider if you might be well served by starting again, or starting again at least on the shell.

I understand you want to keep weight down, but .4m wall is very thin, not likely strong enough especially at the fasteners and connections.

This is not easy stuff, don't get discouraged. Remember 90% of people on the internet never contribute a thing, 9% only contribute complaints, and 1% gets stuff done. You are already in the 1%

Just if you wanted to see this in action. https://youtu.be/rLg3WkpB1lI.

This is a published and sold plane. That .4 thin wall is perfect surprisingly. Have printed and flown this plane already. Hand launch belly land. Had a bunch of flights on it even landing/skidding on the belly. What did it in was actually a really bad hand launch.

I do plan on keeping at it. And you may be right to try and duplicate their outer shell in fusion. Shouldn't be too hard with hmmm mind not working right was it patch that you work in T splines and pull. Anyway think you know where I am going I just hope I do.

Thanks