Loading

Monoprice Maker Select V2.1 from Melzi v3.5 to Ramps 1.4

Please Login to Comment

So somehow my thermistor on the hot end shorted out and blew out the Melzi v3.5 board. Decided to take a chance and I ordered this kit from Amazon to convert to a Ramps 1.4 setup:
Kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019TNELNU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In preperation for recieving the kit I watched this series of videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iS52C1uOLU&list=PL8H7CRPXAYDFlLdIfTIeAmS14TTTw4Pz4
Extras: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y66LZ2L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y65XHN9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I ordered the last two, because if you watch the videos, you plainly see that the stock connectors on the Melzi board will not go onto the ramps board, specifically the Z axis stepper and the switches. So I ordered the extra parts so that I could just make my own "converters" and not have to worry about cutting and stripping and putting new connectors on the board, so if I want to go back to Melzi (no idea why I would think that now), but anyway I could go back.

So you get the kit, put on the jumpers, install the stepper drivers the right way, and then you are ready to start moving things over one at a time. Now what no one tells you is that you should flash the Arduino before you assemble it to the Ramps board. I say this because unless you can see the little programming lights flashing you have no idea if the flash took or not (suggestion not a rule). So, you get Arduino IDE, you download the latest firmware (for me I used Marlin, and I got it here: http://marlinfw.org/meta/download/ ). I downloaded version 1.1.8 of Marlin. Now the part that took me forever was editing the Marlin configuration.h file. There are tons of thing to edit, for my specific model (Monoprice Maker Select V2.1, I putting my configuration.h file attached).
Here are the important settings as I have figured out:
Steps per MM (X = 80, Y = 80, Z = 400, E = 96)
Max feed rates: X = 200, Y = 200, Z = 25, E = 25
Max Accel: X = 800, Y = 700, Z = 100, E = 1000
Acceleration: Printing Moves = 800, Retract = 800, Travel = 1000
Jerk: X= 8, Y=7, z=.4, e=2

Also in Arduino IDE go to Sketch=>include Library=>Manage Library
then search for U8glib, and install it
I think I had to restart Arduino IDE, and then go back to Sketch=>include Library, then select the U8glib.
This is required to get the graphical display to work.

So after all the edits are done then, compile, and then with the Arduino attached to the USB port of your computer select the right model under tools: both board and processor are the Mega 2560.

Then upload! Watch the Arduino board, it will start to flash like mad, and then when its done there will be a single yellow LED closer to the USB connector that is on, that means its flashed.

Now you are ready to connect it to the RAMPS 1.4 board make sure all the connections are good, display is connected plug in the power and it should be good to go.

There are tons of guides that show how and what to hook up to the RAMPS board, but information on what to do for the Configuration.h file is really confusing and limited. All I can say is that for me I could not leave the defaults in the configuration file, it made my printer do horrible things (belts slipping, and the motors were going crazy.

Hope this helps someone!

i keep getting a compiler error about the LED status. it says it is missing a binary operator before "(". any ideas??

I am a complete noob and not very experienced in playing with the above. I followed your directions above. but when I got the the wiring I had some question. I watched the videos that you tagged, but there were a couple wire on My maker select that didn't seem to match up with the video since he did some other mods. Do you happen to have a picture of your ramps board once you moved your wiring?

I dont actually, I never thought about taking a picture, what do the wires you have left over go to?

I ended up finding a diagram of what wires to put where. The directions said to put the heated bed wires to the D8 section of the ramps board. When I finished moving all the wires and turned on to test for the 1st time I got a smoking board. I traced the issue back to the D8 section with the heated bed wires. (this happened to be the same place that burned out my original board.) So now I am back at square one, 2 burned boards :( .

that is a huge time saver, thanks for posting this. my board died, my replacement board died, finally said screw it and switched to ramps, i should have done that the first time!

You are a god among men. I have spent too long to admit trying to get Marlin 1.1.8 to work for me since my old Melzi board decided it would only move each axis 3 steps and then stop.
This config worked great for me, I just had to set "#define INVERT_Z_DIR" to false instead of true.

Hi Mark - Thanks for sharing this information. I have the ramps boards in anticipation to having to do this someday. At least now I could start working on getting the ramps board configured and ready ahead of the conversion.