Ask for a thing. Maybe the community can find/make it.

Please Login to Comment

Are you looking for something but can't find it? Are you not even sure what you're looking for? Explain yourself here and someone might know exactly what you need. Maybe they'll even make it for you!

LULZ, thought your name looked familiar.

There are currently three things I'm trying to get dimensions on - the tail spike missile on the chibi edition of Stormfly the Deadly Natter (How to Train Your Dragon, 2015 - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1349826), the vegidiscs on the air-powered Octonauts base (Octonauts 2015 - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1359929), and the battery case cover for the Sword of Omens (Thundercats, 1980s - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1359951)
I'm tinkering with the dimensions from the bits I /have/ to try and get a rough model together, but does anyone have the dimensions on the bits I /don't/ have?

[WIP/Dimensions Request]: Stormfly's tail missile
by Tyhm
Octonauts Vegibot Disc (2014)
by Tyhm
Battery case for the Sword of Omens (Thundercats, 1980s)
by Tyhm
Comment has been deleted

You could also use http://ProtoDnD.com to collaborate with a designer and get 3D models made.

Avaviel, fired clay would be problematic in two ways:

1) clay shrinks and warps when drying and two pieces meant to fit together will likely dry at different rates, loose fitting lids are even difficult.
2) fired clay is very rough and there would be a LOT of friction trying to screw two fired pieces together.

All that being said, I don't want to discourage you from trying if you still want to. Can you give dimensions for one piece you would want to try first. Consider overall radius/diameter of tap, thread depth, and threads per inch.

Good Luck!

Oh! And! Drinks right now. I'll play around with dimensions tomorrow.

looking forwared to the dimensions

For the larger one, The lid would be 10cm wide and 2cm tall. The smaller on, 2cm wide and 4cm tall. I need to figure out how to tell you the thread sizes. In general, they'll be larger than normal. For the bigger, a giant and gentle thread. It's not meant to be water tight, but simply to hold the lid on. The smaller would have more of a traditional threaded for the size, but larger threads.

For making the tap and die, there are a couple of options. When i was thinking about wood, I would have taken a wooden screw and tapered off the threads gradually, until the tall length was regular size. A wood tap and die, for the male side, involves a metal piece shaving off wood. I'm unsure if it would need to be metal or not for clay. Most likely the plastic could take it. (The clay is about the constancy of milk chocolate at the point where it's tapped.

Additionally, There would be a tube to test if the female is the right size. It would be the size of the screw without threads. To test the male end, it would be a ring without threads.

For the larger one, The lid would be 10cm wide and 2cm tall. The smaller on, 2cm wide and 4cm tall. I need to figure out how to tell you the thread sizes. In general, they'll be larger than normal. For the bigger, a giant and gentle thread. It's not meant to be water tight, but simply to hold the lid on. The smaller would have more of a traditional threaded for the size, but larger threads.

For making the tap and die, there are a couple of options. When i was thinking about wood, I would have taken a wooden screw and tapered off the threads gradually, until the tall length was regular size. A wood tap and die, for the male side, involves a metal piece shaving off wood. I'm unsure if it would need to be metal or not for clay. Most likely the plastic could take it. (The clay is about the constancy of milk chocolate at the point where it's tapped.

Additionally, There would be a tube to test if the female is the right size. It would be the size of the screw without threads. To test the male end, it would be a ring without threads.

That's solved! The screw and the object being screwed are fired together. I've used tap and die sets for metal before, they work fine. Except for weighing a ton, being made for metal.

I'll add that any designers will receive ceramics things made from the tap and die sets! I'm not sure of the number, most likely two or three things.

Edit : two pieces of clay fired together fit together. A lid and a teapot stay the same shape. The is also true with a regular metal tap and die set. If the pieces and the lid are fired together, they stay relatively the same shape. If they're fired separately, all bets are off.

Could you send a pic of your metal tools and the desired result? Designing from the top of my head would probably result in something completely different. I´ve only seen tap and die for M12 and no larger.

I'm hoping for someone to help me make a tap and die set for ceramics. Tap and die sets are typically metal, which is overkill for clay and can break it easily. However, with a plastic tap and die set, a tea pot could have a threaded lid, or a bottle, or whatever for whatever size.

Edit: another fun idea would be to take the. 4x5 pinhole camera and convert it to use real large format cameras. A 3d printed camera exists, but it's proprietary.