Klipper on a AnyCubic i3+ Prusa

Please Login to Comment

Yesterday I have started with the installation of Klipper on a AnyCubic i3+ Prusa (my first time)

original TriGorilla board,
with original TMC A4988 stepper driver, without chnages in vref
original setup for the axis
original extruder and MK8
original display
Raspberry Pi 3B
Octoprint, latest version
Klipper latest version
new bearings ;-)

I had to configure the printer.cfg by my self, i didn't find in the web - hard work to find all necessary information like the pinout for the board and so on. Actually all axis, switches, display, heater for bed and noozle are running well. I have testet alle safety functions and checked PID Tune.
First test with 100mm/s was cool. 2nd test with 200mm/s was Impressive - with a nice surface!. It feels like having a new printer ;-) !!
Today I want to optimize the "Pressure Advanced" function, actually i have choosen some save values, and I will try to find out the max. usefull speed for the printer (becuase of the moving printer-bed).

Is there anyone who as tried Klipper on an old, printer like that? Someone who want to share his expirences?

Best regards.

That's a test print done at 200mm/s with an acceleration of 5000 and advance of 0.06. something happening down the bottom but not bad for first running attempt with shaping considering that's a machine that I couldn't push past 60mm/s previously

wow .. looks realy great!

Yeserday I have done some test with 300 and 400 mm/s (just for fun and as a benchmark for a further project, an X/Y cube) .. the extruder couldn't deliver the filimant without noises and my bearings sounded realy terible .. but the surface (a ring) and the layeradhesion was incredibly for this stupid test. I thing more than 200 mm/s is not suitabel for my printer and I think 150 will be the best compromise.. But I'm so happe that I have tested Klipper ...
Actual setup: Acc 1200; PA 0,09

Same settings, 150mm/s vase-mode, 0.3mmLayer .. a great surface .. an the best: nearly no ghosting (Skull)!

I just can upload some pictures .. but no video ... hmm

Well I've been pushing my machine at speed for a few days now and it's not particularly happy about it. I've reduced the acceleration down to 2500 until I work out the issue. There are now all sorts of grinding noises that are not pleasant at all. Things can sound good at the start of a print but a couple of hours in not so much. Doesn't seem to effect the quality though. Probably my fault somewhere

Oh .. for the higher speed I had to align die belt and the pulleys as well as the belt-tension. And I have greased all bearings;-) ..but your printer is using PU-rolls .. isn't it? - have you checked the bearings? Have you adjuste the bearings of the bed in warm condition (heated bed)?
I have tried higher ACC .. but got a lot of ghosting. For high quality prints ACC is about 1300 and max speed 150mm/s. If the surface is just the 2nd rate quality, I can do with ACC 2800 and 200 mm/s.

The cr10 X axis is badly designed so I've added a couple of idlers to correct the belt path. Now that you mention it no I haven't adjusted the bed while it's warm. Good point. I noticed my wheels are grooved also so should be replaced. Cooling for the drivers may also be an issue. I've looking suspected my X stepper is faulty too. Sigh.

The input shaper feature seems to work really well for ghosting but then it can also round small corners. It's all a very fine balance

actually I'm playing around with the "Resonance_Compensation" function .. nice ;-

I'm back! One thing lead to another and I'm now running my X and Y axes off a basic ramps board with 8825 drivers and homemade tl smothers. Maybe also new steppers. Who can really be sure in all the confusion. I decided to try a new stepper and while I was in the printer shop I saw the RAMPS mega 2560 sandwich for $50 so I impulse bought. I set the new stepper up to try it out, then realised klipper allows me to have multiple mcus, so I tried it out. I'm still quietly stunned that running the X axis on one board and everything else on the original actually worked. The results were so good I went back and got another stepper. I'll move the z motors next.

Current settings:
Speed: 200mm/s
Acceleration: 3000

Those are settings that make the printer sound nice and smooth, almost silent, and producing the results you see in the photo. All for ~$100. I basically got a new printer.

That print btw (post tuning, done at 0.3mm layers) got me the ultimate compliment from my daughter. "Did you print that?"

Right back at ya! Nice lines! I've done a lot to eliminate the vibrations and I've achieved heaps but I couldn't get rid of the grind when X and Y move together on diagonals. Tunng the input shaper showed that the steppers had slightly different resonant frequencies which added together in a nasty way. Those vibrations are now pretty much gone. An underated feature of the feature

I've got it running on a cr10s. Same drivers. 200 is now my default speed but with acceleration of about 1200. For advance values, I use 0.07 for PLA with my direct drive, and to show how bad Bowden setups are I use the same value of 0.7 for flex on the direct extruder and PLA with the Bowden.

[Edit] Just about to tune the new input shaper feature which looks like it can eliminate ringing at high acceleration settings so that 1200 will change. Fingers crossed!