Terminology question about functions() and modules()

Please Login to Comment

When talking about a function or module how does one differentiate between the thing containing the code and the thing that executes the code?

function add(a,b)=a+b; //is called?

echo(add(1,1)); //is called?

Strange question from someone who knows very well OpenSCAD :)

// Declares a user defined function add() that take 2 parameters a and b and returns their sum
  // ==> This line do not call the function it just let OpenSCAD know its existence
  function add(a,b)=a+b;

// => Calls user defined function add() with parameters values a=1,b=1 and then gives its result as input to native function echo()
  echo(add(1,1));

The distinction is the keyword function that begins the declaration of a new function.
A simple way to verify this is to add an echo in the function definition and see the result with and without the line echo(add(1,1));

function add(a,b)=let(dummy=echo("add function called with a=",a, "b=", b)) a+b;

The same apply to modules:

module test(a,b) { // Defines the module, do not call it
    echo("test module called with a=",a, "b=", b);
  }
  test(2,3); // calls the module

The distinction is the keyword module that begins the declaration of a new module.

Regards

Thanks for the reply Claymore.

So if I was writing about a function the terms I would use, would be "function declaration" and "function call"?

I just don't want to get in the habit of making up my own terminology and have people not understand what I'm talking about.

Yes, those terms (declaration and call) are used in most computer languages.