Pla vs damprid

Please Login to Comment

I have a couple of spools in an airtight container ,. I also keep damprid it in the same container. In order to keep the pla a nice and dry. But unfortunately the roles that were in that container are having issues. All the rules but these prints have missing Leader Heights and overall bad flow. Wondering if there's such a thing as keeping the pla too dry or there's some sort of reaction between the PLA and damprid

Thanks for all the replies guys maybe it's just those few spools. For whatever reason they just went bad over time. Most of the other spools in that same box or just fine and some of them are even older

I've been using Damprid for over 2 years in my dry box. No issues. But I do drain the liquid in the bottom of the Damprid bucket every month or so. I also replace them about twice a year (I keep 2 in my filament container)

Big Caveat: Damprid won't actively dry out your filament (neither will reusable desiccant for that matter). The filament needs to be dry before placed in the presence of any desiccant. They WILL help prevent filament from absorbing moisture by keeping the air in the container itself dry. But it doesn't actively dry your filament.

So if you are having issues with your filament being brittle, etc. then it was most likely on the verge of being "wet" when it went into the container. I would recommend a drying procedure in your microwave or time in a low temperature oven to dry it out. Then try to print with it again. I think this will resolve your immediate issues, as it has always worked for me with older filaments I've had in the past. Then you can store the unused filament in the container with the Damprid to help keep it dry.

The Damprid active ingredient is Anhydrous Calcium Chloride....salt, that reacts to moisture in the air and dissolves into the bottom of the bucket as liquid. It doesn't react with the filament through air contact. The Damprid medium can get thin over time and maybe allow the moisture in the bucket to escape back into the container, though. So check it every so often and dump the liquid out, then put the DR back into the filament container. When the medium is looking rather used up, replace it.

Also, I didn't know this initially... but most plastic containers you find in department stores are HDPE or PP. They may seem airtight, but will allow moisture laden air to permeate gradually over time. So you are going to be constantly fighting some level of moisture in the container. Metallic bags like Mylar are ideal. No matter, though. As long as you keep the storage environment as dry as possible, you will be fine.

Also, I print directly from my dry box with a hole drilled for the filament to escape anyway, and this doesn't seem to negatively affect the other filament inside.

How old are these spools?
They always say that they last only for 1 year...
Edit:
I just looked at this damprid, i wouldn´t use it with Filaments, reusable Silica Gel may be better in there.
Because damprid dissolves it might destroy the Filament...

I don't know enough about the life of a roll or how to best take care of them, but I'm curious on how old your spools are that went bad with the damprid in the container with the spools. It seems odd the spools would go bad in this environment since (at least hatchbox) sends it's PLA and ABS vacuum bagged with a packet of the same stuff in it.

You dont know how long the filament been out before the manufactures pack them in a vacuum bag. The best thing to do is dry that new filament roll right after opening it before putting it in an air tight container. So get yourself a food dehydrator and tell your wife you got her something for xmas

Edit: you can dry the sil gels with it too to reuse

Sure - and how are you explaining to her that you did remove all the bottoms of the trays but one... ;P

Are you sure, don´t they use reusable Silica Gel for this ?

Dessicant is effective at drying the air in the bag, but if the filament is totally soaked a tiny bag of silica gel may not be enough to completely take up all the available moisture in the bag. Like Sndgjaytr said, since initial conditions are unknown before packaging, it's a good idea to dehydrate filaments when they arrive new, and then store them in a known dry environment.

As a side note, could be where I live (relatively dry climate), but I don't do anything special with my pla rolls and they always work well even after nearly a year of out in the open storage (in my unconditional garage). Nylon most certainly requires careful storage and handling, and sometimes abs can act a little off if it gets stored in a humid envorinment, but from my experience pla seems worry free when it comes to absorbing water. So my honest recommendation for the OP is to look for problems with the printer itself. If it prints other pla well, then maybe not, but it could just be a creeping problem with the extruder.