Wich program do you use to convert .STL to .gcode?

Please Login to Comment

This topic could be really interesting because I only knew a few programs to convert my stl files to gcode.
It will be great to putt some programs and add a little review with the most important features

SImplify3D is Best

Why do you think it is the best? Slic3r is really doing well for me right now.

More Control and customization Possible. Print Quality is better. I have tried Both Slicer and Simplify3D. Give it a shot

EASY HOW TO GET STL FILES INTO GCODE IN UNDER 2 MINUTES!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPgMlppb7vA&lc=z222elyj1kn5ejd0wacdp431y3fn3js3sehiot1wg2dw03c010c

I made this video and it clearly explains what you need to do and I give the links for a few programs as well as some test designs on my Thingiverse Page. I hope this helps.

There is a new program called IceSL that I have yet to try. I would be interested if anyone has tried it. I'm getting frustrated with the support structures on Slic3r.

If you need support you have to use slic3r 0.9.10b As far as I know it's the last one with useful support.
You can also test Meshmixer from AutoDesk. There is a free Version for non commercial use. On Youtube you can find some video tutorials.

idk, I like how Cura generates support structures. There are some models that just use more plastic and become more complicated when generating support while using Slic3r

Yeah, But the print just turned out nicer on my Anet A8 if I used Slic3r

I use Repetier Host and Slic3r mainly. Though I keep Cura around to have another option.

For user using Prusa i3 (Merlin Firmware), better use Repetier Host. For Slicer, better use "Cura Engine". Fine build and stable print. Don't use "Slic3r". If you was a new born in 3D printing, Slic3r will be nightmare in printing. More setting must set and study and wasting our time to suit good setting for your prusa i3.

For new born user, I suggest using Repetier Host with Cura Engine setting.

I use Repetier Host on my workstations and have Repetier Server installed on a small computer that is attached to the printer. It's by far the most headache-free of all software I have tried with my system in both Linux and Windows.

For slicing I used to use Sli3r, but that has too many bugs and leaves holes in weird ways and some things do not work for me. I have switched back to Cura Engine for slicing and it works fine most of the times. The last time I had to use Slic3r was months ago, so maybe there are newer versions that might have fixed issues.

I use slic3r. It works fine for me. The only disadvantage is the small hole problem. If I need support, I use MeshMixer free version from Autodesk to ad the support.

I prefer Cura for placing objects and visualizing the print bed and will export that .stl into Slic3r. Slic3r seems to generate better results for me, especially now with the dual Bowden setup i'm working on. MatterControl is also very promising, as you can choose to pick either Cura, Slic3r, or the MatterControl slicing engine.

I use both Cura and Slic3r and then compare the results, and I usually slice my models in batches rather than one-at-a-time. To make this easier I wrote a couple of droplet apps for OS X that make it easier to do automated slicing. Drop your STL files onto one of the droplets, choose an ".ini" file, and then just wait while all the models are sliced. At the end all the ".gcode" filenames are given a suffix based on the ".ini" file that was used to slice them. https://github.com/thinkyhead/Slic3r-Droplet-for-OSX

i use cura or slic3r, then i export to an sd card

Cura to slice and OctoPi to control, although nowadays I use Simplify3D

I started out with Slic3r but then switched to Cura. Now I always use both and compare the results. I made a droplet tool for OS X so that I can slice several files at once in a batch. This saves a lot of time and effort, since I have to re-slice a bunch of models (Prusa i3 parts mostly) whenever I switch to a new roll of filament. I have heard good things about Skeinforge, but it's very complex and intimidating. SFACT is a simplified slicer, as is KISSlicer, but I have not used those. There's actually a commercial slicer, Simplify3D that looks really really impressive and fast. Then there's AstroPrint, which sends the STL file to the web for slicing, then sends it to your printer wirelessly. Expect more web-based services like that, all-in-one solutions like Makerbot's software, and new things from Ultimaker soon.

I've been using the Cura engine in Repetier Host most often recently - it has the best support structure generation out of any of the free slicers that I have found.

I like the control and support structure generation that the Simplify3D slicer provides, but I have issues with some objects leaning when printed that I haven't quite figured out yet.

Slic3r, definitelly yhe best for me, only lacks a way to slow down/configure fan speed on overhang.