Octoprint Enclosure Plugin - a few questions

Please Login to Comment

I am researching the plugin to see if it could replace a pro mini based controller I have developed. It looks straightforward enough, but there are a few things I'm not sure of (since I can't read python for the life of me).

1) Do temperature controlled pwm outputs use PID feedback, or is it just linear (P only)? I'm guessing it is just a linear threshold ramp, since there's no mention of pid tuning. If so, can you adjust the slope of that ramp at least?

2) The plugin supports dallas temp sensors, but can it do several dallas sensors? It looks like it uses one wire addresses so it might, but in the documentation the sensor is always referred to in singular form (never "sensors", always "sensor") so I'm not sure what it can do.
Answered: release notes say yes it does multi dallas sensors

3) The plugin does "normal gpio temp control" which is just on/off control. I presume that includes some hysterisis; is there a way to adjust the hysterisis value? (Not the set point, but the +/- value)
Answered (I think): release notes mention 'dead band' is adjustable

4) Also, is it possible to turn off the heater after a print is finished? My own controller has 2 ways of doing that... it measures off time to determine if the enclosure is heat soaked (ie the hotbed alone is maintaining temp), or I can use a timer. Can the enclosure plugin schedule feature be used to that effect?
Answered: probably can't sense heat soaking, but api event hooks can turn heating off after print is complete.

5) Do the pwm outputs have 'kickstart' or 'minimum pwm' features to keep fans from stalling? If so, is it adjustable? I have a mix of fans that perform very differently so I need the ability to tune kick starting and anti stall. I saw some stuff in the code that looks like the author may have added fan "anti humm" features, but not sure exactly how/if it works, nor does it look like the parameters could be adjusted per output.

I am hoping the plugin can do all of this so I can get rid of my own controller. If not I may just move my case lights and spot light control to the pi, but I won't downgrade the temp controls (it is solid as a rock as is and without pid I doubt the plugin can compete).

I will never understand why people go to the dentist and ask for help for her aching leg ;-))

The better place for your questions would be here: https://discourse.octoprint.org/

If your dentist was as smart and well rounded as mine, you might ask anyways. ;)

I may sign up there and ask some questions, but that forum doesn't look very active (lots of unanswered posts). I did find some interesting material on using config.yaml scripts to control gpio though.

Anyhow, I got to thinking since a print cannot be started without first prepping the bed (and maybe changing filaments), that means I'm always in front of the printer before a print is started anyways. So my current enclosure controller is adequate (no real need to remotely adjust things). Also after digging around a bit more, I am pretty confident the plugin does not do PID, so I'm not going to use it for my fans. I will switch my case lights and spotlight to the pi though, since remote control of those is useful.