Educational Possibilities

Please Login to Comment

What are the educational possibilities of 3D printing? In my "Using 3D Printing for Teaching and Learning" presentation (https://events.educause.edu/annual-conference/2014/proceedings/using-3d-printing-for-teaching-and-learning), I identify three educational possibilities for 3D printing:

1. 3D printing is a real-life technology, so students need to be aware of this technology.
  2. Instructors can create and use 3D models of objects and systems to better demonstrate concepts and processes.
  3. Students can create objects and models for deeper understanding.

Other ideas?

The link does not work anymore. Do you still have the presentation?

Thanks for letting me know about the broken link. I've updated it in my post. The new link is:

https://events.educause.edu/annual-conference/2014/proceedings/using-3d-printing-for-teaching-and-learning

Hi, it seems your presentation is directed toward the physical 3d model side of 3d printing. Spatial cognition is definitely important to develop (i.e. Einsteins brain). I found a lot of knowledge in leaning Assembly of the machine. Maintenance, G-code, Programming, Software and Troubleshooting. These elements teach students how a systems' components effect each other.
Also the design process! This process can be approached creatively or mathematically, both of which develop and strengthen a students spatial cognition, through practical application.
I'll spend days designing, then I'll fine tune my printer to print. Then print and toss the model aside, eager to design something else, and increase the precision of the machine. I will also make modifications to the design, to better the end model. This is a process of manufacturing development, and an entire 4 yr degree could, should, and probably is dedicated to this single concept. The sooner we approach the steps, the more assurance while we climb.
To conclude, I feel that the 3d model is the reward, or destination, but I tend to enjoy the Journey more!

Great ideas Zeek. My first educational possibility (real-life technology) loosely includes "how it works", but I need to mention more about the direct use of 3D printing in design fields (e.g., CAD, art). Also as you describe, you learn a great deal in the process of 3D printing, particularly problem solving and much interdisciplinary content. I think I'll add another educational-possibility slide about 3D printing for developing problem solving abilities in real-life, complex, multidisciplinary contexts. Thanks for the feedback.