Thingiverse Apps FAQ

Apps FAQ

General

• What are Apps, and why am I seeing them on Thing pages?
  • What kind of apps exist?
  • Why are apps not available for use on all Things?
  • Are apps allowed to be used with my Things?
  • Can apps make money off of my designs?
  • If a commercial app makes money off of my design, do I get a cut?
  • What about customized things? Who gets the tip if someone purchases a Thing that is the product of a customizable Thing?
  • A Thing App is broken, how do I contact the developer?
  • How do I use (insert app name) ?
  • A Thingiverse app doesn't load or has issues. Is Thingiverse broken?

Payments

• What payment types are accepted?
  • How do I know my payment information is safe?
  • Are you saving my payment information?
  • Who see's my payment information? (developers, etc)
  • How do I manage my payment information?
  • How do I manage my address information?

Refunds

• How do refunds work?
  • I'm not satisfied with the good/service I paid for, how do I request a refund?
  • How do I check the status of a refund?
  • What happens if the App owner refuses my refund but I disagree?
  • I have not received the good/service I paid for, what do I do now?
  • It's been 30 days so I can't submit a refund, but my order has an issue, what do I do now?

Orders

• Where do I see my Order History?
  • Something is wrong with an order I placed, how do I update an order (wrong shipping address, wrong thing, etc)?
  • How do I cancel an order?

Tips

• Do designers receive a share of the revenue from my purchase?
  • Can I tip users without purchasing something through an app?
  • Do users keep 100% of the tips they earn?
  • I'm a designer and would like to receive tips for my designs, how does it work?

International Users

• How do I pay for the goods/services?
  • Can the goods be delivered to my location?

General

What are Apps, and why am I seeing them on Thing pages?

Thingiverse Apps allow 3rd party app developers to create apps for Thingiverse which can interact with Things. These apps can be anything the app developer can dream up.
    Go back to the top

What kind of apps exist?

Thingiverse apps range from 3D modeling to slicing to model repair to print fulfillment and beyond. To see the list of apps that are available take a look here: http://www.thingiverse.com/apps
    Go back to the top

Why are apps not available for use on all Things?

Apps are available on a Thing according to the license applied to the Thing. For example, a commercial app would not be available by default on a Thing which is licensed for non-commercial use. However, designers can override the default and allow an app to be available on their Thing, even if it goes against the license of the Thing.
    Go back to the top

Are apps allowed to be used with my Things?

It depends on the license on your Things. Apps abide by the licenses applied to Things. However, you may manually enable or disable specific apps for your Things, even without changing the license. For example, if your Thing is licensed non-commercial, apps that charge fees will not be able to access your Thing by default. However, you could manually enable a commercial app for use with your Thing, while still keeping the license as non-commercial.
    Go back to the top

Can apps make money off of my designs?

Yes, there are commercial apps that may charge fees for services or goods delivered to customers. However, commercial apps are required to let the customer tip the designer and designer's have the ability to make this tip mandatory or optional.
    Go back to the top

If a commercial app makes money off of my design, do I get a cut?

If you would like to! Commercial apps that charge fees must allow the Thing owner to charge a mandatory or optional tip. The minimum tip amount can also be set by the Thing owner. Additionally, 100% of tips earned in a transaction go to the user. Thingiverse does not take any cut. For more information about earning tips, look .
    Go back to the top

What about customized things? Who gets the tip if someone purchases a Thing that is the product of a customizable Thing?

We believe the majority of the work and creativity of a customized Thing comes from the creator of the customizable Thing itself. Therefore, customized Things are considered an extension of the original customizable Thing, and any tips earned in a commercial transaction will go to the creator of the original customizable Thing.
    Go back to the top

A Thing App is broken, how do I contact the developer?

To contact a developer, visit their App page first. From there, you can click the Message Developer icon (the envelope) below the app description.
    Go back to the top

How do I use (insert app name)?

If you're unsure on how to use an app, visit the App Page on http://www.thingiverse.com/apps and view the instructions the developer has shared. If they have not shared any, try contacting the developer for more assistance.
    Go back to the top

A Thingiverse app doesn't load or has issues. Is Thingiverse broken?

Apps are hosted by the developers of the app. If you're able to browse Thingiverse but the app will not load or has issues, please contact the developer via their app page on http://www.thingiverse.com/apps.
    Go back to the top

Payments

What payment types are accepted?

For App purchases, we accept PayPal and most major credit cards including: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, and Diner's Club. For User-to-User Tipping, we only accept PayPal since credit card fees are too high for small amounts, and the designer would end up receiving a small portion of the actual tip amount.
    Go back to the top

How do I know my payment information is safe?

Thingiverse uses Braintree to process transactions. Braintree is a PayPal subisidary and powers payment processing for many websites on the Internet. For futher information on their security meaures please visit the Braintree website at www.braintreepayments.com.
    Go back to the top

Are you saving my payment information?

No, Thingiverse does not save your payment information. Payments are directly processed through Braintree Payments, a subsidiary of PayPal.
    Go back to the top

Who see's my payment information? (developers, etc)

Payment information is only shared with Braintree, a subsidiary of PayPal, for the purposes of payment processing.
    Go back to the top

How do I manage my payment information?

Payment information is never stored and you may input payment information when orders are placed.
    Go back to the top

How do I manage my address information?

Addresses can be edited when submitting orders. Shipping addresses are stored to save users from re-inputting addresses for every order. However, they are not shared with any other applications and are only stored for future use.
    Go back to the top

Refunds

How do refunds work?

If you believe a refund is appropriate, you may request a refund from the app developer. Navigate to your "Order History" page located in the drop down after clicking your account icon. Click the specific order which was not valid and then click "Request Refund." The developer has 30 days after payment is submitted to issue a refund on the purchase. When a refund is requested, developers will receive a notification on their dashboard and email and may approve or reject a refund request. You will receive communication from the developer in your Thinigiverse Messages. If a refund is rejected but you still believe a refund is justified, a support ticket can be submitted to Thingiverse to review. Thingiverse can ultimately override the developer's decision and issue a refund if sufficient evidence is provided.
    Go back to the top

I'm not satisfied with the good/service I paid for, how do I request a refund?

Thingiverse is not responsible for goods/services provided by Thingiverse Apps. If you are not satified with an order you placed, you may request a refund directly from the developer.
    Go back to the top

How do I check the status of a refund?

To check the status of a refund, navigate to your "Messages" page located in the drop down after clicking your account icon. Refunds occur between a user and a Thingiverse Apps developer and you will have to discuss a potential refund with the developer directly via the Messages system.
    Go back to the top

What happens if the App owner refuses my refund but I disagree?

If you disagree with the decision of the developer, a support request can be created via the "Contact Support" link at the bottom of Thingiverse pages. If a refund is disputed, Thingiverse will review the request and supporting evidence and make a final decision on whether a refund is justified.
    Go back to the top

I have not received the good/service I paid for, what do I do now?

First, navigate to your "Order History" and ensure your order was correctly placed. If it was, then you may contact the app developer directly by clicking on the order in question and selecting "Contact Developer". This will initiate an exchange in Thingiverse Messages where you can ask the developer why your order has not been received. If you would like to dispute the order, then you can request a refund from the developer by navigating back to the order and selecting "Refund Request".
    Go back to the top

It's been 30 days so I can't submit a refund, but my order has an issue, what do I do now?

Unfortunately, Thingiverse only allows refund requests to occur within the first 30 days of payment due to the way we process transactions. If a refund is not requested in the first 30 days, no further action can be taken.
    Go back to the top

Orders

Where do I see my Order History?

Navigate to your "Order History" on the user menu dropdown or navigate here: http://thingiverse.com/orders.
    Go back to the top

Something is wrong with an order I placed, how do I update an order (wrong shipping address, wrong thing, etc)?

You'll have to contact the app developer. To do so, navigate to the order under your "Order History", select "Order Options", and select "Question about your order". Thingiverse does not directly handle orders placed through Thingiverse Apps and therefore an address change request has to be placed through the app developer.
    Go back to the top

How do I cancel an order?

You'll have to contact the app developer. To do so, navigate to the order under your "Order History", select "Order Options", and select "Question about your order". Thingiverse does not directly handle orders placed through Thingiverse Apps and therefore an address change request has to be placed through the app developer.
    Go back to the top

Tips

Do designers receive a share of the revenue from my purchase?

If they would like to! Commercial apps that charge fees must allow the Thing owner to charge a mandatory or optional tip. The minimum tip amount can also be set by the Thing owner. Additionally, 100% of tips earned in a transaction go to the user. Thingiverse does not take any cut. The choice is yours!
    Go back to the top

Can I tip users without purchasing something through an app?

Yes! You can now tip users if you really enjoy their designs, think they're a great member of the community, appreciate help they may have given you, or any other reason! And as with app purchaes, 100% of the tip amount goes to the user, minus payment transaction fees that we tried very hard to minimize. You may tip a designer by using the "Tip Designer" button on Thing pages or user profiles in addition to the download notification when files are downloaded.
    Go back to the top

Do users keep 100% of the tips they earn?

Thingiverse does not take any percentage of tips earned by users. However, all payment processing companies charge transaction fees in order to process payments. We tried very hard to minimize these fees, but they will be deducted from the final amount users receive.
    Go back to the top

I'm a designer and would like to receive tips for my designs, how does it work?

Take a look at our more detailed explanation of tips for designers .
    Go back to the top

International Orders

How do I pay for the goods/services?

We can accept payments anywhere that Braintree operates: https://www.braintreepayments.com/products-and-features/global
    Go back to the top

Can the goods be delivered to my location?

That depends on the developer of the app you're using. You can contact a Developer through their App page located at http://www.thingiverse.com/apps, with any questions.
    Go back to the top

I have a makerbot replicator 2 what app can I use to print my own designs