Teaching TinkerCAD to Kids Ages 6-12

Please Login to Comment

Hi,
Before I create one, I'm looking for a basic set of projects to teach young kids (elementary / grades 6-12) how to use TinkerCAD. I am looking for something that could be done in six to eight 45 minute sessions. Any thoughts or links are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

One of the most popular toys in that age group for boys is tech decks, they do make a lot of noise, but it keeps kids engaged in the learning, and gives them something to bring home, for the girls I would recommend making phone holders or robots/dolls

Cool ideas, thank you

Coaster sets are a good one, simple but you can get as creative or simple as you like. A four set of coasters and a holder for them is really easy, and allows for a lot of personalization with out being over complex but is also not as simple as something that would only take one class.

Just teach them the basics and let them make their own stuff.

Aloha abst,

I think the best answer to this question is to think about the students, the standards you would like to include, and combine them into an interactive experience. The issue you may come up with is that the age range from 6-12 is far too great to lump together. I teach the same group and they are all different, from year to year.

Get them solving a problem, something based in the real world. Then incorporate standards in science, social studies, math, and reading...then you are good to go.

So if I were to provide you with a single project, it would only be good for one age.

Example:
Stop Motion Animation
Storytelling, calculations, sequence, lighting, prop design, etc.
Have the students make the props needed for the animation.

Hope that helps...Mahalo

Thanks, I think I've figured out what I'm going to do. Basic skills that have a physical object at the end. Something that can be customized. Backpack Name Tags, Silly Glasses, Maybe a Llithopane from a line drawing they make and then we scan.

Thank you for all the responses. I'm not sure if any of these can be directly applied against my need, but you have all suggested great ideas that I will look to incorporate.

I did a Civil Engineering Project with my 6th grade classes. See this link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2647359
We spent about 6 weeks working on bridge types, history, and design. I had them complete a sketch on graph paper of a 2D design to scale. Then we spent time reviewing geometric shapes and why certain shapes best support weight of the bridge.
They had a blast!

Truss Bridge

I've taught so many kids before. I'm also in 7th grade, so I'm in that age group, so I can help. I've even hosted my own sessions. What you want to do is get information through. That's the main thing. Show them something simple, like an animal head or something. a print that doesn't have a lot of parts. I suggest a spinner or something like that. You can just tell them about how the printer works. Remember, this isn't first graders you're teaching.
~Colby

Just play & make anything!
Students can learn themselves by watching videos.
https://goo.gl/Wcc6YJ
https://goo.gl/Gfxs5g

I taught a class full of 6th graders how to build a water wheel, the type that would have been used in a grist mill or saw mill 100 years ago. Not simple yet not so complex they couldn't complete it.

I would suggest you go the mine craft rout. Every kid these days knows what mine craft is and should know how to build with cubes.
-Show them how to insert cubes into tinker cad
-once they get the hang of dragging cubes around and stacking them together show them how to change the size of the cubes so that rather than stacking 27 cubes together they can simply change the dimensions of one cube to be the size of the many cubes.
-once they get the cubes down show them how to use the other geometric shapes

It's all about building blocks with kids. My 7 year old loves to jump on tinker cad and build things mine craft style. Compare it to something they enjoy and they should get hooked easily :)

I like this idea, I'll try that on my 5th graders!

Just a suggestion, thought of actually asking the kids themselves what they`d like to be able to make (within reason), a lot easier to hold their attention if they're making something they actually want. (could go wrong, not sure what 6 to 12 year olds are into, think its guns and knives according to TV :) starting them a bit late though, aren't they born knowing how an iPad works these days)

maybe a cup or vase mode?
I do not know but i can say im only 11 years old.