Melzi 2.0 board replacement

Please Login to Comment

I have a DMYCO clone of the TRONXY P802ma. I bought this printer about 15 months ago and recently had a short on the motherboard. I ordered a new Melzi 2.0 board from AliExpress. It arrived yesterday, and I installed it on my printer. I turned the printer on and the fans started, but the display screen was black. I tried connecting to my computer to see if I could move the print head etc through Repetier Host. The computer can not connect to the printer.

Any ideas on how I might get this working? Do I pewrhaps have to flash firmware? How would I do this?

Of course, the new board might be faulty.

I should mention that the problem on the old board was that the power line shorted and melted the screw terminal connector. The screen was still lighting up. I have a new connector on order, so will hopefully be able to repair the old board.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here is the error message I get when trying to burn bootloader:

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows Store 1.8.19.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Sanguino, ATmega1284 or ATmega1284P (16 MHz)"

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.19.0_x86mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.19.0_x86mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega1284p -cusbtiny -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.19.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
     Using Programmer              : usbtiny

avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f
AVR Part : ATmega1284P
Chip Erase delay : 55000 us
PAGEL : PD7
BS2 : PA0
RESET disposition : dedicated
RETRY pulse : SCK
serial program mode : yes
parallel program mode : yes
Timeout : 200
StabDelay : 100
CmdexeDelay : 25
SyncLoops : 32
ByteDelay : 0
PollIndex : 3
PollValue : 0x53
Memory Detail :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
       Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
       ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
       eeprom        65    10   128    0 no       4096    8      0  9000  9000 0xff 0xff
       flash         65    10   256    0 yes    131072  256    512  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
       lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
       calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
     Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp

avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .avr8x_mega) (retrying)

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .avr8x_mega) (retrying)

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .avr8x_mega)
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

https://www.reprap.org/wiki/Melzi

That wiki page includes everything you need to know to flash firmware for your board.

you need to check what exactly your board is and what driver it has and then flash apropriate firmware. But honestly, when your board burned you should just buy something better, melzi is rubbish... You might have issues flashing this thing...

How do I determine what driver it has and how do I flash the firmware?

What could I buy that is better?

I recommend the classic and dependable Audino/Ramps 1.4/stepstick combo
It's cheap, it's reliable, it's modular - so when something does go wrong you can fix it.
There's a huge ramps 1.4 user community (most of reprap) - and it's a good entry level.
If you have the money, a 32 bit board like Duet or Lerdge is great - but it depends on your cash - these boards in the UK cost more than a brand new TronXY.

darthpjb, thanks for your comments. After much fiddling, I have been able top "read board info" using arduino ide. Does this mean that the board has a bootloader installed? Attempts to upload firmware through USB always fail.

When using arduino ide, I find port Com 1 and Com 7. I can read board info using Com 7. But as soon as I introduce USBTINYISP into the mix, I again see only Com 1 and all attempts fail.

I am using Windows 10, and suspect that the drivers for USBTinyISP have not installed properly?

Any comments appreciated.

Something like duet wifi would be probably best you could go.

And how to determine? Well look up on the internet that particular version of melzi.

Or ask whoever you bought it from or check on the board itself, on biggest chip it might be written.