Installing Repetier Firmware on a Da Vinci 1.0

Please Login to Comment

1. Read up and understand the whole process first. Download and Install arduino, Repetier - Host and Slic3r.
    http://arduino.cc/en/main/software - https://github.com/luc-github/Repetier-Firmware-0.92/ - http://www.repetier.com - http://slic3r.org -
    Read and follow the instructions on the bottom of the Firmware page.....
  2. Install Repetier Firmware 0.92. There are 2 ways to do this with older xyz firmware and software or flash the main board and use arduino.
    I used the older xyz ware and flashed to 0.92 using the upgrade option. Lots of Youtube videos on this part.
  3. Once the flash is done do not forget to send G-Code M502 then M500 from repetier's Print Panel tab - or - from the printer menu "Settings/Load Fail-Safe" and accept to save the new eeprom settings. I did the " Load Fail Safe " from the printer menu.
  4. When update is complete you must calibrate your bed height! You can use the new manual or Auto feature from the 0.92 menu. I did both to see how they work.
  5. Next get Repetier Host working with your Da Vinci. I am using a Mac / Hackintosh. The part I had problems with was getting the printer to act just how I wanted. Here are my connection settings that work for me. It will be usbmodemxxxx - Baud Rate 230400 - Stop Bits 1 - Parity None - Transfer Protocal Force Repetier - Receiver cache 202 - Check use Ping-Pong and Firmware sends OK
  6. Next is the Behavior tab - Travel 4800 - Z Axis 100 - Default temp 220 - Bed temp 90 - Extruder 1 - I only checked the next 2 boxes. Check extruder and Don't log temp. I found out if you check the other boxes it can mess with the Start and End G code in Slic3r. For the Dimension tab I set it to Classic Printer and 200 max X and Y and 200 x 200 x 200 all others 0.
  7. For Slic3r most settings are general and will work. You can find Da Vinci .ini files for Slic3r on the web. That is where I started then made changes from there. You will want to have settings saved for Print Settings .4 and .3 and so on. Then settings for Printer settings. Most important here is the Custom Start and End g-code. He is the G-code I am using now. You will put this in Slic3r Under - Printer Settings - Custom G-code. Copy and paste them into Start and End. Don't forget to save the settings. Finally Filament Settings. Here you set you different temps you like to run. The following is the G-code
  • Start -
    M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; Bed (no wait)
    M106 S255 ; Start fan
    G90 ; set absolute coordinates
    G28 ; home all axis
    M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; Bed (wait)
    M104 S[first_layer_temperature] ; Extruder (no wait)
    M109 S[first_layer_temperature] ; Extruder (wait)
    M117 Start
    M117 Cleaning
    M100 ; Cleaning
    M117 Printing

• End -
    M117 Done
    G92 E0 ; reset extrusion distance
    G1 E-3 F600 ; Retract
    M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
    M140 S0 ; turn off Bed
    G90 ; Absolute
    G28 X-33 Y-12 ; home x & y
    G1 Z100 ; Lower bed
    M117 Down Bed
    M100 ; Cleaning
    M117 Cleaning
    G28 X-33 Y-12 ; home x & y
    M84 ; Disable motors
    M117 Remove Print

Hope this helps. I am sure I might be missing some things, but this is a good starting point. I wish I had this info all in one place when I made the switch. Have fun and happy 3d printing. Here is a good web site to search out information from http://voltivo.com/forum/davinci-firmware/40-custom-firmware-development?start=160#2145

Hi all just had fun over the weekend. Following it word for word and the issues was it transfusing it all across the firmware. It would get to the printer on but then have a corruption issues and the windows would then have an major issues. Detecting the USB connection, Both printer and Windows 10 Pro not detecting each other correctly. windows every 10 seconds or so saying that the driver connection was undetermined. And the printer you could hear was trying to connect again, triggering it to come up with the undetermined issue in windows . I tried meany way with different versions of Arduino installers. All the same issues. It was starting to do my head in (6 plus hours of working on it.)
I then clicked and checked on this as I know this has been an issue in passed with other drivers for different items and yes same here (head plant "Thanks Microsoft!!!!!".........Will not follow the other comments I had in the back of my mind at the time."
Turned out it was the Windows 10's Bossa program port current drives at this time I'm putting this here. The current default version it wanted to use was a new version from MS and had some issues with the installing of the Firmware.
Had to go into the drivers, tracking down and older version. I then made a 2015 version of the Bossa driver as the default.
Once that one was installed. Ever thing went smooth after that with no issues at all with the install.

hello and thanks for all the info! i got a question can i still do this process even if I updated my Da Vinci 1.0 to its latest firmware which is 1.3.3? Please let me know and thanks in advance!!

Hi,
I am sure you can still flash no matter what version of xyz your on. Once you short out the 2 pins on the main board it blanks out the main chip. Then your ready to install Repetier.

Ok perfect thank you very much for your response, I will try this as soon as I can!

Could this be undone?

Thanks for posting this! I have the same printer, and have wanted to get something better than XYZ on it, but struggled to find decent instructions that didn't involve me doing exactly what you had to do. And I don't really have the time to re-engineer the whole thing! Your post makes me want to actually try it now!

Edit:
I had some trouble, and couldn't get .92 to install correctly. (Printer was a brick afterward.) This video got 0.91 on my printer, and the rest of instructions were helpful after that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wDlD2u5tVc