Really pretty item. When I saw it, I immediately realized I have to also print it. However, by the time I printed it, my skills were quite poor and was experimenting numerous things, so I had lots of challenges with these. I had overheating, underventilation, experimental surface printing setup (that gave ugly looks), clogged nozzle, faulty spray paint nozzles etc etc.
Anyways, printing these was really entertaining, frustrating and educational.
The 1st print failed 2 times on the base (clogged nozzle, interrupted timing belt -> skipped steps) and on the 3rd try filament ran out. Eventually I modified the gcode with Matlab and printed the missing "hat" separately and attached it to the bottom part. I used 2 component epoxy glue for attaching the parts. For finish and clean up the looks of the "scar" between the hat and the bottom part, I tested some methods: PLA welding gave ugly looks and polyestesparkel crumbled but Milliput was quite nice. The 2nd printer printed good straight away.
1st print took 35h (173m filament) and 2nd was done a bit faster with 27h (166m filament).
I also designed and printed custom speaker covers for the speakers (Hertz DCX87.3).
I used random spray base coat. For actual surface I used PlastiCote silver Perle for imitation of pearls. However, quality of PlastiCote is really poor and the nozzle clogged and I could not find new nozzles. Therefore some pearl layers were left missing. Finally, I finished the surface with some varnish.
Then my motivation ran out and the speakers just waited at the shelf for some months until I finally finalized these.
Delta printer with linear rails, Repetier firmware
PLA 1.75mm (eSUN)
Solid layers top/bottom 4/3