WOW! What a massive project this turned out to be! Over 154 hours of total print time, and that does NOT include re-prints and design tweak test prints and the like! Here are some of the details of my build:
- Everything is printed in PLA
- Seeing other people's builds, I couldn't decide between a black or a silver/grey bridge. So I decided not to decide - the base and side panels are black, while the top of the segments are silver.
- I had a wide space to work with, so I added 3 straight segments in the middle of the circle to make it a wide arch
- In spite of the fact that they are stooooopid expensive, I decided to use Philips Hue Lightstrips for this project because I've got some other Hue lights in my home. I had to modify the light rails and a few other pieces to support the width of the single Hue Lightstrip (see my remix for those pieces).
- Although I can use the Hue app (and other means) to control the lights, I also wanted the ability to simply turn it on/off without the need for an app. So, I added a power switch (with an LED ring) to one of the bases.
- I created a small PC board for the power control and added a mount for it inside one of the bases. This lets me use the original Hue power supply to bring power into the lamp base through the barely-modified center arch. The Hue receiver is also connected to the PC board and lives inside the base of the lamp.
Thanks again to Opossums for this inspired design! It was a ton of work, but a lot of fun to build, and it'll be a very useful addition to my workspace!
I used my Lulzbot Taz 6 for most of the many (many!) parts that make up this bridge - the bases and the side and top pieces of each segment. I used my Original Prusa i3 MK2 for all of the light rail pieces (in white). I would've shared the load more between the two printers, but for visual consistency I wanted to use the same printer and filament for the same parts across the whole bridge.