Main body printed in Formfutura HDGlass with the gears printed in Taulman Nylon Bridge
Nice work. I mounted mine the same way, with a plate separating the motor from the extruder. How did you get the gears to line up? Mine prints well but it makes all kinds of noise.
It's down to the washers, basically. I found this to be quite "lumpy" when it came to watching the gear and the bolt didn't quite spin straight. The Washers introduce play to the main bolt, due to them not supporting it correctly
I used the NSTT for maybe 3-4 prints before dropping it in favour of my own design, the Drakon.
I actually don't NEED to have the extruder mounted "sandwich" style but I would have to figure out an alternative to mount it to the 2020 extrusion.
I was looking for a DIY geared extruder / Titan alternative and found this NSTT. It was really the only one I found that fit my bill. I'm not sure why yours didn't show up when I searched for "geared extruder". I use it on my Aluminum UM2 Clone and I'm not quite comfortable with it. The extrusion seems to be decent but I noticed the "play" in the gears. I can see the gears are grinding slightly, leaving a powder residue. How is the Drakon working out for you? I need an extruder that can be separated from the motor with my mounting plate sandwiched in between.
It's working well. It probably didn't show up in your search as I only really got the design in a working state this week and there's probably about 4-5 days worth of design and tweaking gone into it.
As soon as the bearings & SLS Printed gears come in I'll be retro-fitting the rest of my printers. I will say that I'm not run it much more than 35mm/s due to the Delta it's on having 0.9 degree steppers running at 1/16 microstepping, so effectively I'm running on what equates to 1/248 stepping. I'm currently running ~900 steps/mm Which is producing some very high quality prints.
If you've watch the Drakon assembly video, you would have seen that the gears just slot together on the Drakon. I found with the NSTT it took a fair bit of wiggling to get it seated. Part of the reason for this is that the NSTT's gears have quite a steep angle on the Herringbone and are actually quite a bitch to print right and cleanly. I opted for a less steep angle and to go a little thicker to provide an easier print, better contact area and better fit. I must have spent 5 hours alone on the gears. I would also really recommend printing the Gears in nylon.
Mount-wise If you look on the Drakon Github there's already a 2020 extrusion mount to go with it.
Awesome, Thank you. I don't have any Nylon filament right now. I have High Temp PLA, ABS and PETG. I downloaded all the Github files and will be printing the gears tonight. I'll post a MAKE when I'm done. Thanks.
No problem, I'd suggest using ABS or PETG over PLA . I ran the Drakon with Formfutura HDGlass gears without issue