The hinge broke instantly, but I didn't really expect it to work. My printer/I am terrible at overhangs.
Image 1: Right off the print bed
Image 2: 20 or so rounds of primer and sanding, then application of hand-cut paper decals
Image 3: Application of adjusted paper decals cut on a vinyl cutter
The paint is clearly too shiny, and I couldn't get it smooth enough. Will reprint at a higher quality eventually.
It's practically impossible to hand-cut those rounded corners, so I used a Silhouette Cameo 3 to cut a sheet of semi-gloss paper (from a standard inkjet printer). The Cameo has a print-and-cut feature that uses registration marks to cut accurately over the design.
In order to get accurate cut lines, I brought the STL into 3D Studio Max and extracted the cut shapes directly from the geometry.
The decal images are from a sticker template created by someone who was re-doing the stickers on one of the Playmates toys. You can download that here: http://www.alexkalcher.de/startrek/requisiten/media/tricorderprop.pdf but remember that it will need major modifications to fit this 3D print.
I'd love to upload my final print-and-cut file for you, but Silhouette has their software locked down and chained to a big ol' pay wall. You'd have to own the same machine as me to use the file.