This is actually the third Plastic Beast frame that I've printed. I made my own beast as a trainer quadcopter, I figured that since it can take a beating it would be a good starter. I flew some micro quads, then got a Taranis QX7 and spent a lot of hours practicing in Velocidrone. I can't recommend that enough, having the experience of using the same controller made the real thing so much easier. Despite all that, acro mode is harder than it looks, and you can see that the Beast in my photos has seen a few scrapes and collisions with dirt piles.
The first frame was printed in grey PLA from AMZ3D, and it worked very well. I crashed it repeatedly while trying to dial in my rate settings, and it suffered through it with dignity. Eventually I cracked the bottom to the point of not wanting to fly it any more, so I printed a new one in Hatchbox PETG, a new material for me.
Frame two had its parts hurriedly transferred to it from the PLA frame, to try and get to the park to fly with a friend for the first time. In my rush I neglected to reconnect the VTX negative lead, so I realized at the park that I'd be limited to LOS flying. Being the fool that I am, I left it in rate mode to get some practice. Approximately 15 seconds after liftoff, I lost control of where the quad was heading, but was still trying to recover it. I saw it speeding towards me and hit the failsafe switch, but it was too late. It crashed into my shin backwards at full speed, breaking the rear bar of the frame, frying an ESC, and whacking the hell out of my shin. It still hurts.
I bought a new ESC today, paying far too much to get one locally. But with a new frame (printed with the same GCode, it was still at the top of my queue), I was ready to get up into the air!
The standoffs are printed with PETG, I ordered some aluminum ones, but they aren't here yet. Honestly though, I think I'm going to stick with the printed ones. With good layer adhesion they're not exactly weak, but in a bad crash they'll break and absorb some of the impact force. None of the small crashes around the yard broke my PLA standoffs, and the PETG ones seem to be even stronger. My top plate is still PLA, and I've mounted my video antenna in one of the back holes. I'm not sure what they're meant for, but they work well when drilled out a touch. The flight controller and PDB are mounted on M3 bolts stuck through the bottom of the frame, which works surprisingly well. They're spaced out with nuts to keep clear of each other and allow for some airflow.
EMAX 2205 2300kv motors
EMAX Lightning 30A ESCs
Chinese clone of an SPRacing Naze32 F3
Matek PDB-XT60 with extension leads for the connector
FrSky X4RSB receiver
Runcam Swift 2 camera
TBS Unify Pro 5g8 Race HV VTX
Venom Graphene 1500mAh 4S batteries
Generic 3 blade 5045 bullnose props.
Overall I'd say this is a fantastic design, though I'd love to see the source file(s) made available for modification. I'd be interested to see if I could put 6" props on this with some slight tweaking to extend the arms. It flies more easily than anything in the simulator, and is quick and responsive to course changes. If I'd started with a carbon fibre frame, I'd have paid to replace it several times now, and had to wait days or weeks each time. I've printed two of these with a single roll of filament that costs less than a cheap carbon frame, and I'm not even half way through the roll. This is definitely the most robust quad design I've seen on thingiverse, and I'm extremely excited to have my own.
I've also been using a battery protector (though it's not pictured) from here, scaled to fit my batteries exactly: