I didn’t make one, I made two, and then glued them back to back to make a mammoth tool holder, and I then decided to mount it all on a slew bearing.
Everything was printed in eSun PLA+ using Slic3r with 0.1mm detail and 20% fill and printed on a Prusa i3 Mk2S.
I used 0.1mm detail because I aim to get a good quality finish on all my 3D prints and the slew bearing needs a good finish to work smoothly.
The overall print time for the tool holder was long (172 hrs give or take, over 1.5 weeks including overnights) but the quality of finish is the bonus. The slew bearing print time is extra if you decide to go that way. I intend to have this tool holder for a long time so the extra time taken now in printing/fabrication will pale into insignificance as years go by.
The tool holder bodies (2) took 35.5 hrs each, the 90mm trays (4) took 8.5 hrs each, the Xacto trays (2) took 8.5 hrs each, the hollow hangers (4) took 5 hrs each, the tray hangers (2) took 6 hrs each, the tops (2) took 3 hrs each and the tray ends (4) took 0.5 hrs each.
The slew bearing outer race took 10.75 hrs to print, the inner top and bottom races took 4.75 hrs each and the 48 rollers took 8.5 hrs to print (as a single print of 48).
If the finish doesn’t concern you then use a lesser detail and your print times will be reduced accordingly.
I chose to use only the 90mm trays because I can always make them shallower, but I couldn’t have deepened one of the shorter trays once installed.
If and when I want to make any of 90mm trays shallower I will simply slide foam offcuts inside to make any of them shallower.
I used Gorilla ‘Brush & Nozzle’ super glue because the glue is good and the brush applicator made applying the glue easier on the broad flat surfaces.
The top piece might by regarded a ‘cosmetic’ but I think it adds character to the top which otherwise would simply have had the daggy finish of the ‘first print layer’.
On Slic3r I ‘cut’ the hangers to remove the back section so that the two body sections could be glued back to back without any gap. Also, when glued with the Gorilla Super Glue the hangers are not going to come loose, so I didn’t think I needed the back sections. (See pics)
Also in Slic3r I ‘cut’ off the riser tabs on the upper side of the hangers. I just didn’t think they were needed and by removing them made picking things out of the small hanger trays easier.
The whole unit is set up on a slew bearing (lazy Susan style) so I can rotate to access and replace tools more easily.
You can find the slew bearing on Thingiverse (thingiverse.com/thing:2375124).
For this project, I enlarged the bearing outer diameter to 170mm simply by scaling up the outer and inner races and the rollers by 116.5% on Slic3r. This also conveniently meant that 4mm machine screws self-tapped into the holes to join the inner top and bottom races. This also allowed me to self-tap the 4mm machine screws fastening the bottom tray hanger onto the outer race of the bearing.