Spent about two weeks making this guy.
Thanks to DIY_Machines for the inspiration.
My Anet A8 printer had some trouble printing the ball, but I managed to print it with low resolution. On the first half the printer stopped at 90% so I calculated how much was left to print and cut the model at that level. It was one layer out in the end, but it still worked. On the second half I decided to cut the model in half in Blender and then printed them separately, then superglue-ing them together, which worked and saved my printer from dying.
I used the Adafruit Motorshield V2 so I had to change the code a bit. Here's the code: https://www.thingiverse.com/asset:63656
For the paint job I did quite a few layers of primer and filler. Then used glossy white spray paint for the body and some sharpies to draw the designs.
It worked pretty well, before the paint job. Afterwards I had a lot of trouble getting it to not throw its head off. Something is off with the weight of it, cause the ball gets too much momentum. Tried to change the code but nothing really helped, but overall this was a great experience and my students loved it.
It's not recommended by DIY_Machines to print it at this low resolution, but I managed to get it working fairly well at this resolution.
Had to sand it quite a bit and use some filler on some parts.