I finished my HEVO in August 2017. After half a year of happy printing I did some modifications which I want to present here.
This is a 300 x 300 x 300 mm HEVO with dual Z-axis. I ordered the aluminum extrusions so that I can build the HEVO 110 mm taler than in the original BOM. That gave me room for the electronics to place in the bottom on a 5 mm thick plastic board.
I started with a Bowden drive with a geared extruder and an original E3D hotend. I was happy most of the time but was unable to print flexible material. Even with the newer improved blue Bowden tube from E3D I did not get any results. So I switched to a Titan Aero direct drive and now I am happy with my flexible prints. Instead of the original E3D stepper motor I use the smaller one with only 25 mm thickness. I reduced the voltage a little so that the motor gets not too hot. The carriage with the small motor is far more heavy than my previous Bowden set-up but I am happy with the result.
MKS Gen 1.4 Board with Marlin software. Additional Raspberry Pi Zero W with Octoprint to bring the G-code to the printer. I do not use the touch display anymore, everything is controlled from my iMac and Cura.
I created a wiring diagram to document everything for myself and to get an idea of all the cable harnesses and to see the different voltages of the parts, fans and sensors I use. I am happy that the actual wiring looks very similar to the drawing.
I installed 80mm case fans to cool the sir and the electronics board.
None of the electronics components are actually screwed to the base plate but instead everything is attached to the frame. I didn't want to drill a lot of mounting holes to the base plate only to find out to drill some more after I wanted to change something. Now I am more flexible. Only the ankers for the cable ties are glued to the base plate.
I designed a fan duct for the exhaust fan of the power supply.
Because the HyperCube is quite large mine is placed on the floor and below a table. It was quite hard to switch it on and off until I moved from the integral switch / power cord module to two separate items.
I did the wiring plan in Apple Keynote. The file and a PDF in a higher resolution is available from my Google drive here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R8VUxfpfr20093jrkB4JwyO17iN0YUdy?usp=sharing
I started with a braid hose for the cables leading to the carriage. I was a little unhappy and moved to a nice cable chain. I placed the cable chain below the top aluminum extrusion. To make room for the cable chain I lowered the carriage 30mm. I needed to make slots in the parts for the XY motor brackets to still make it possible to mount them to the frame. I do not use the same screw from the inner corner brackets anymore. I also needed to move the optical end stop to the other side of the frame. The end stop is now mounted a little different to accommodate for the additional 30mm. The cable chain moves outside of the boundaries of the cube but only when the carriage moves to the back left corner of the print bed. This is ok for me.
The end of the cable chain is screwed to the carriage, not tot the removable tool head. I integrated a holder for my Molex Micro Fit 3.0 plugs.
I planned to feed the filament tube also through the cable chain but the bending radius is too tight. I store my filament in two Ikea dry boxes.
Of course I want to add a full enclosure. I will also play around with more different tool head designs for my Titan Aero. Later maybe a Duet Wifi board and the Pi Zero only as Webcam controller.
Find my additional parts for this build in my collection here: https://www.thingiverse.com/SuperIngo/collections/superingos-hevo-things