Aug. 23, 2018:
Finished printing the parts today and received the PCB from Mindfab. I will start soldering next week since I'm still waiting for the stepper motors. I decided to go for a 20% infill and use 8mm carbon threads to keep the bot as light as possible.
Sept. 04, 2018:
Finished soldering the PCB, finally all bearings/drivers/screws/rods etc. arrived, but I'm still waiting for the stepper motors and the audio jack. At least I can start building the bot frame. One thing I have to think about is the possibility to use the bot with a Mini Connect screw.
Sept. 05, 2018:
Found out that I forgot to print the bot's base plate, project on hold until I get a chance to print it.
Sept. 20, 2018:
Finished building the Panobot frame, motors are moving, testing next week.
Sept. 29, 2018:
The wheels are turning. I found a schema for the Sony Multiterminal Connector (http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/remote_pinout/#sony) and ordered the Sony proprietary Micro USB connectors last week (https://www.mobilexcopter.com/shop.htm#!/~/product/id=39708561). I'm still waiting for the audio connector, I'll solder the connector to the audio cable as soon as it arrives.
The motors turn the gears, everything looks great!
One thing is strange: when I use the spacer 'tube' between the tilt gear and the mount, the motor gear reaches the tiltside (I guess the shaft is too long). I added a second spacer and now it fits fine.
Oct. 18, 2018:
Finally, I received the audio jacks. I fixed the tilt motor shaft problem (25mm shaft length is too long) by printing a NEMA17 spacer (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2886838), I changed the height of the spacer to 5mm. It fits great now and I can use only one tilt spacer.
I found out, that I swapped the motor phases when soldering the wires (well, it's a 50/50 chance to get it correctly).
Oct. 20, 2018:
I soldered the audio jack and made some first tests. Autofocus and release shutter are working. I'm currently using my Canon EOS 450D with the 18-55mm lense to do the tests, the final version will be for a Sony Alpha a7 iii. Frame seems to be stable enough (the Canon is heavier than the Sony camera).
Nov. 14, 2018:
The bot is almosed finished although I have to print another PCB housing and holder. The housing is too big and the holder snapped. Instead of the 3D printed tripod plate I'll use an aluminium round blanks and drill two holes and a 1/4" screw thread into it.
I'm going to laser cut a nice black acrylic box and fill it with foam material since this panobot is a present for a friend.
Dec. 1, 2018:
Finally, it's done! My first Panobot is finished and ready to take great panoramas!
Meanwhile, I got the chance to participate in a Fab Contest in Vienna. I did not make it to the Top 3, but at least my Panobot was selected as one of 40 projects who got a ticket to the finals (Top 15).