Really enjoyed making this sword. I decided to not really follow the Adafruit method and instead use cheapo amazon LED strips. The ones I got were a bit large, so I couldnt glue them in place sideways in one piece. I had to use 3 small pieces which admittedly gives a break in light at those areas, but it was the only way it would work given the LED strips were so wide. Either way, it turned out better than I hoped. I don't really care for the battery powered part as this will just be hanging on my wall most of the time anyways. I posted a few pictures of how I assembled it for others who are interested. I carefully cut out the infrared sensor from the plastic cable housing (but that was just optional). I used 3d gloop to chemically weld the transparent parts together.
100 for transparent; 20 for bronze