I actually made it summer of 2013, but just posting now.
What is the padlock for? Theft prevention?
Yep, you never know! No I wanted to put some preload weight on the flexible coupling so that when the weight of the direct drive extruder crosses over to the right side of the bed it doesn't compress much. A minor thing really, but wanted to test it out. I have completely overhauled the Z axis since this pick.
Do you still use the ob1.4 very much since you made the Cbot?
Yeah, still 30-40% of the time actually. It prints well so if the part fits on the 8x8 bed and the right filament type/color is already loaded then I will just use the OB1.4.
I designed both, here is the filament spool. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:222428http://www.thingiverse.com/thi... I tried to link it to the OB1.4, but couldn't get it to work. I'll add the electronic mount asap. I found some online but found they were typically for 20mm extrusion. The fan mounts are by mxg: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:166045http://www.thingiverse.com/thi....
...what did you use to hold the electronics and the filament spool?
Nice job btw!
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:225147http://www.thingiverse.com/thi... for ramps mount. Also see post above.
Like the LCD mount, very tidy.
Not sure if you still use your OB1.4, but I am wondering if you had noticeable Z banding? During assembly did you notice an offset from the center of the Z axis motor shaft to the center of the M8 nut catch on the X axis? Just trying to trouble shoot. Thanks.
I have no noticeable banding. I'm using a spring coupler between the motor and the threaded rod and the m8 nuts have a slight amount of horizontal play, both of which may help absorb some vibration.
I have metal flexible couplings but my bottom M8 nut is tight in the plastic. If I remove the M8 rod and slide the entire X axis right down onto the Z motors, there is a slight offset from the motor shaft to the center of the nut catch. However, if you aren't getting the problem then it must be something else causing my banding. It has a period equal to the M8 thread pitch so that's why I've been looking at that this first.
So my banding is fixed. 8mm rod was sitting on the 5mm steeper shaft and not allowing the flexible coupling to work. Above geometry issue still exists but the flexible coupling absorbs it.
thanks for the design