Pentomizer - Every known tessellating convex pentagon
by mathgrrl, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
With this Customizer you can print ALL OF THE PENTAGONS. All of the good ones, that is. That we know of. Fifteen types of pentagons, including one discovered by mathematicians only this year!
- "All of the good ones" means all of the irregular convex pentagons that tile, or tessellate, the plane.
- "That we know of" means that since 1918, mathematicians have been trying to find all possible tessellating pentagons, and this Customizer can make all of the ones that have been found so far.
- "Fifteen types" means that there are fifteen classes of tessellating pentagons, where each of these classes might include just one pentagon, or might include infinitely many somewhat similar-looking pentagons.
- "Only this year" means that THIS YEAR, after a thirty-year dry spell in which no new tessellating pentagon types had been found, mathematicians Mann, McLoud, and Von Derau of the University of Washington Bothell found a new one!
But what can you MAKE with this design, and how?
- Press the "Open in Customizer" button to get started
- Choose one of the fifteen types of pentagon
- Decide whether you want to use your tessellating pentagon to make a pattern, a puzzle, a picture, a container, a desk organizer, or even a cookie cutter!
- Change side lengths and angles within the restrictions of the pentagon class, if possible (most sliders only work on certain classes); use restraint if you want to preserve convexity or five-sidedness
- Press the "Create Thing" button and then download and print your pentagon design
- Take a photo, click "I Made One" on this page, and upload your photo to show off your pentagon creation
UPDATE: If you'd like to be able to set some of the desk organizer heights to zero, check out SpoonUnit's remix.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this Thing
Pentomizer - Every known tessellating convex pentagon by mathgrrl is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving mathgrrl a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure mathgrrl would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).