This time around I took it up a notch and made one to fit from floor to ceiling. To do that I had to create some parts to add a clamping foot to the top of the pole. I also had some breakage in both the shelves and one of the feet. So I did some redesigning to overcome the problems.
The shelve bits I remodeled it so 2 1/2 inch long screws will go from front to back as strength reinforcement. When the front part was all plastic, with a lot of weight it ended up cracking and snapping off. I also increased the infill to 40%. So adding these two things together improved the strength of the shelves.
The second issue was that one of the feet broke. The problem was the carpet. So there is enough spacing to allow the rod to ripped right threw. I don't have this problem with my kitchen shelf but the bottom foot is on a hard flat surface. So to fix this I created a modifier for slic3r that made infill the center of the foot 80% wile the rest can be set at 30 so save on filament. Only the center needs the extra strength. Secondly i cut some wood to create a solid flat surface for the feet to stand on while on the carpet.
I bought an Ikea stolmen poles and clamps to custom make a nice shelf in my bathroom. While putting it together I saw how simple the design was. My wife asked for something similar but in a smaller space in the kitchen. So i took up the challenge (and save some cash, stolemen isn't cheap) and created my own.
To start off with, I love me wired shelves, I have tons of them used in various ways, you can buy them in pieces if you want to make something custom. For only 7 bucks a pole at homedepot, I was off to a great start (stolmen poles are 30 each). Looking around the bolt isle I discovered "carriage bolts"... they're perfect for the bottom foot which stolen uses a ball to allow the foot to tilt in case the floor is uneven.
From there all I need was some wood and design myself the rest of the parts. So here you have it, the finished product looks and works great. I have plans to make another one to hold up my LCD tv in the bedroom plus add much needed storage space, so I'll post up pics when that's done.
So I would love to see what you guys do with home made stolmen shelving. Start preheating them printers :)
Just need 6-32 round head screws for the clamps
For the bottom foot, you just need a carriage bolt, nut and washer. Get whichever bolt can be screwed into the bottom of the wired shelf post.
Also I used electrical tape on the inside of the clamps, so when you tighten the clamps to the pole they get a nice tight friction grip and won't slide down easily.
For reference, I printed everything at 25 infill. If you're planning to put a lot of weight on the shelves you might want a higher infill for the clamps. Also if you plan to alot of tension you might have to make the feet higher infill as well. But for me 25 works out just fine.
Lastly, On the feet I cut circles of this stick on rubbery sheet I found at Micheals. This helps the feet grip itself to the ceiling and floor so they don't slip. If you can't find it you can probably use stuff at home depot, they should have gasket sheets and rubber packing sheets. Those cost more then the micheal's stuff but any rubbery stuff you can cut and glue to the bottom of the feet that causes alot of friction would do the job nicely.