Have a hole in a panel, desk or bookshelf that needs to look professional with a hole grommet and flush mount cover? The matching cover can be printed with a catch that seats with a satisfying snap. With the catch the cover stays put and feels very solid.
We use these to dress up holes in coroplast, acrylic, plywood, sheet metal and other paneling so it looks professional and cords or 3D printer filament doesn't snag.
This is the same OpenSCAD code used for object http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1011192 now revised for a flush or flanged cover. Don't need a hole, then print a cover without!
Don't want to download and install OpenSCAD, make your own with Customizer (on this page).
Edit the parameters to make the panel grommet as needed. The OpenSCAD code generates parts designed for each other. So that once you set the parameters and then generate each part, the inside, outside and cover will fit together.
The customizer and variables in the source are divided into four sections + general:
Try to print at high resolution (both Z-step and circle resolution) but don't go insane. The higher resolutions will make for a better fit and finish.
This is the thirteenth revision (v0.9.4) that has implemented the following fixes since the original version:
- Length of inside part has been lengthened to correct length
- Countersink on outside part has been removed for better finish
- Hide exposed threads on outside part by narrowing flange hole to ID
- Fixed variable name to ensure correct inside part length
- Added cover and fixed cover hole selection
- Cosmetic spelling and variable name changes
- Added inside fillet to improve join between cover plug and cap
- Added flush cover option
- Added nudging to ensure cleaner object cuts
- Renamed the Global section to General to work around Customizer bug
Seems the design is (mostly) stable but evolving. Suggest you watch this part as new changes are implemented fairly requently. Please give feedback so the design can be improved.