This lets you secure the cable of a Raspberry Pi camera (or any other ribbon cable) to a surface using 19 mm double-sided tape. I use it to route the cable along the side of my Printrbot Simple's bed. Rounded teeth on the inside surface of the clip grip the cable, making it easy to slide the cable lengthwise but harder to shift it widthwise.
Here's the source model on Tinkercad.
I printed this without a brim, but if you want to use one, be sure that it isn't going to close up the gap between the clip halves.
The space between the halves of the clip may become fused together by strings. Simply grab a hobby knife and push the blade in from both sides to loosen it.
Clean the back of the clip with alcohol, add a strip of double-sided tape, and off you go!
Why document the design process?
Because there's a lot of resources on the net that tell you how to use design software, but fewer that actually show the process of design. Even write-ups for simple objects like this one would help new makers see what goes into a practical design.
I measured the width of the camera cable (16 mm wide, 0.13 mm thick) and the height of the build platform (25 mm) to get an idea of the size of the final clip. Since my double-sided tape is 19 mm wide, it made sense to go for a final height of 20 mm.
In Tinkercad I sized a box into a thin strip to act as a visual placeholder for the cable, and then used more boxes to rough out the size and shape of the clip around it.
Designing the grip
Now that I was looking at a rough approximation of the clip, it became obvious that it needed some grip. I wanted the clip to grab the cable firmly, but I didn't want to achieve that by making the spacing between the clip halves very small (0.12 mm); that would just make the model harder to print. Instead, I decided to use alternating teeth. The tips of the teeth could all occupy the same plane on the model (and even pass through that plane), but the space between the surfaces of all the teeth would be about 0.6 mm apart; perfect for my 0.4 mm nozzle. I used the Cremallera shape generator by alumnes to produce the teeth, replacing the placeholder boxes of the model.
I moved the top row of teeth down to create the alternating pattern, and also to make the front of the clip shorter than the back. I knew from previous designs that a clip is very hard to use if both halves are the same length; the user has to feel for the gap in order to insert the cable. A taller back portion means that you simply put the cable against the back and push down.
I use 'Hole' boxes to cut off the unwanted lengths of material. I added more hole boxes to the front of the clip to create windows. These give the front more flexibility, let you see the cable inside the clip, and make the clip more interesting to look at when it's installed. The windows were kept narrow so that these overhangs would print cleanly.
I used the MetaFillet shape generator by BobKrause to add fillets to the outer edges of the clip, mostly for aesthetics. Even on a small model like this, getting rid of those sharp corners helps the print look more finished. I left the bottom face unfilleted, however, because I wanted as much contact with the build platform as possible.
And that's it! Honestly it took me longer to document the design process that it did to actually design the part. I hope it helps!
v1, 27 Sep 2015