Loading
MakerBotPartnerLibrary

Rubber Band-Powered Car

by MakerBotPartnerLibrary Oct 15, 2015
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

I had a very hard time getting this car to print. The body was no problem. The wheels with integrated axles were a pain and I never did get a working model printed. I have a Prusa i3 MK2 (a decent printer) and was using Makergeeks Raptor PLA (a decent filament). When the axles print, they are 4mm cylindrical towers and each layer never cooled enough to stay rigid for the next layer. The subtle forces of each layer printing pulled the axle around in circles resulting in poor layer adhesion and dimensional accuracy. I played with my print settings extensively including full cooling at all times on the tower, slowing the perimeter speeds to 10mm/s, etc. but all axles were poor quality. Also, every time I tried to pull the finished wheel/axle off the print bed, the axle snapped off the wheel. Since the wheel is integrated with the axle, the only recourse is to reprint the entire assembly. The axle notch to hold the rubber band was very small and was difficult to actually secure the rubber band to. The body is too short for the rubber bands I was using (standard #33, 3.5" length, 1/8" wide) and so to get the first wrap to stay on the axle was a pain. The body rubber band hook is also small and tucked fairly low making it difficult to affix the rubber band.

Thanks for the idea, but not a working model. It seems that this model might print well on a specific printer with a specific filament but is unforgiving with other printer/filament combinations. Because of all those difficulties, I redesigned the car from scratch in Tinkercad over the weekend. An explanation of why parts were changed can be found on my version: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3598926

Rubber Band Car

Hopefully people will read the comments before commencing the approx 6 hour print as I failed to do. The print itself came out great besides for the T section on the top of the rubber band holder not being there? I am going to try to rescale.

Thank for all your feedback! We have removed the old STL ’s and replaced them with the correct ones. These files were verified and printed on both a MakerBot Replicator & a MakerBot Replicator 2. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Comments deleted.

Still the same problem as MediaSupplyBot mention. Please correct the problem. Thanks.

Thank for all your feedback! We have removed the old STL ’s and replaced them with the correct ones. These files were verified and printed on both a MakerBot Replicator & a MakerBot Replicator 2. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I can confirm this. Back and front axle are swapped and the back axle is a bit narrow.

Comments deleted.

There does seem to be some problems with the STL files provided:
The "Large Wheel" is NOT the correct size.
There is nothing on the back axel [axle?] to secure the rubber band.
It would be nice if somebody could update/fix the files.
Soon.

Thank for all your feedback! We have removed the old STL ’s and replaced them with the correct ones. These files were verified and printed on both a MakerBot Replicator & a MakerBot Replicator 2. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Comments deleted.

The large wheel is not the correct size. And there is no notch on the back axle to attach the rubber band to.

Cool idea though!

Thank for all your feedback! We have removed the old STL ’s and replaced them with the correct ones. These files were verified and printed on both a MakerBot Replicator & a MakerBot Replicator 2. We apologize for the inconvenience.