My new YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnnw56J_TeOsF4M_F5pPPJQ
This model is an experiment of mine to develop an easy and powerful creative workflow for taking a 3D scan or other simple model and adding superficial detail to enhance the quality of the 3D print.
I am using Blender 2.67b and its impressively powerful sculpting tools along with the recently introduced "dynamic topology" feature and a Wacom Cintiq pen tablet. I took the STL file straight from the Thingiverse and using the crease tool, carved ridges and pinches in the model to exaggerate some features of the model.
What I have found is even with a high-detail model, the nature of many 3D printing technologies will smooth or obliterate small details and add to the generational degradation of the figure. This effect is worsened significantly if there is to be any hand-finishing performed to the final print.
Sappho's Head has become a nice "showcase" print for many. It is an elegant way to demonstrate the process of 3D scanning a figure, in this case a plaster bust, and 3D print a duplicate at any desired scale.
This scan was brought over to the Thingiverse by LukeChilson from the Artec 3D Scan gallery.
I will upload another test to show the results of different processes. In the meantime, this is a fine test that you all can print to see the quality difference. I have included a .THING file that positions this and the original figure side-by-side for comparison.
You will most likely need support material to print.
My copy was printed on an original MakerBot Replicator with the latest version MakerWare 2.2.0 beta and sliced at 0.14 mm layer height, 15% infill and 2 shells using the MakerBot Slicer.
Printed in natural ABS plastic. Took 3 hours and 43 minutes.