Before I begin here's a little information about myself:
I am a student in Israel Ra'anana at the age of 15. I use Inventor and Cura to design and print. I've been into designing for about a year now and I now do it as a class in school 2 years ahead of time. I am rather new to the printing part and you can see it did not print as perfect as I'd want it to be.
A tune box (music box) I designed & Printed, it consists of 3 parts:
The wheel is divided into 8 sections in which one is missing in order to Play the music right.
On the base are mounted 3 stripes at the thickness of 2, 3 and 4 mm, with each plaing a diffarent note.
Connecting the handle is done with friction using an extending hexagon on the handle and an inword going hexagon (slightly larger) in the wheel itself.
Although the original device is made on metal, building it out of pure platic did produce a sound, yet not as "clean".
The base and the wheel both have a hole in them so it is easy and clear how to put it together :)
Designing this was not a simple task, the idea hit me in a class in school and I just drew it, drew whatever came to mind, Later that day I went home and straight away got on the computer and started designing.
Almost every part failed at first, the handle broke the moment I touched it... so I remade it.
the wheel did not fit at all, so I remade it.
Surprisingly the only part I did expect to fail was the straight lines, which are at the least 2mm thick. They somehow made it though everything and refuse to break, the wheel had to go in "the wrong" way because I was not using metal and I really shouldn't have pushed those thin parts down, Gravity already got that one covered, so I just push them upwards. Printing was also not simple as the wheel did not have a normal spot I could start the print from, so I just went with the empty space in the song at the bottom.