Motorized Stars Tracker
by pchretien, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This type of astrophotography mount is often called a barndoor mount, a scotch mount or a Haig mount. This mount allows you to take long exposure of the night sky by canceling out the apparent motion of the stars in the sky.
You can get more information on this type of device on Wikipedia:
The version displayed here is made using soft wood (pine) but the final assembly should be made of hard wood such as maple.
Note: The mechanism is working as expected but I am still having some vibrations transmitted to the camera. I have to eliminate these before to try taking any pictures. Improvements are on the way ... stay tuned.
- Print all parts. You may have to design a specific mount for your motor.
- Cut one 9 1/4"" long 3/4" x 3/4" piece of hard wood.
- Cut one 12"" long 3/4" x 3/4" piece of hard wood.
- Bind a 1/4" filted rod with a radius of about 11.45" (291mm)
- Assemble all parts as displayed on the pictures. The distance between the center of the bearings and the center of the rod must be 11.45".
The electronic is built using an Arduino, an Alegro 5804 driver and a cheap stepper motor. I did this some time ago and, as of today, I would use different parts such as the Adafruit motor shield and the Nema 17 motor. You'll find more informations about this on my blog at: http://basbrun.com/2009/07/10/arduino-timer-interrupt/
Following is a short video of the mount in action:
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Motorized Stars Tracker by pchretien is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving pchretien a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure pchretien would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).