I recently painted this and added some additional photos. If you are going to attempt to print one of my protein models, this is probably the best one to start with, as it has supports built in.
This is a model of the structure of Escherichia coli decanoyl-Acyl Carrier Protein. The model is based on the crystal structure and the PDB file 2FAE.
This printed well, and is now a completed model.
This protein is from the common bacterium E. coli, and is important for moving around lipid molecules (oils) within the cell.. It has a decanoyl (C10 fatty acid) group attached to the cofactor, which I have represented as CPK, along with the sidechain ligand. It is actually quite a robust structure, but is able to flex quite a bit..
This structure is an extensive print. It takes about 5 hours to print it. I printed mine with a raft, but it does not require any supports, as I have built in my own, which are very easy to remove. In fact, I removed my supports in about 10 minutes with a needle nose pliar, and spent another 20 minutes trimming it off with a hobby knife, and it looks great. I am printing at medium quality. I printed this out on a Makerbot Replicator 2.
The model took a good deal of effort to construct. The original pdb file (2FAE) was manipulated until only the single monomer with no water molecules was included. This was then placed into the program VMD. I manipulated the backbone as cartoons, and then selected the cofactor and sidechain for display as CPK. This was then imported in several segments into tinkercad (tinkercad had a problem importing files larger than 20 Mb, so I had to import and then align as three components. I then grouped and aligned everything, and added a number of manual support features at the bottom. All of the supports are designed to be removed.
I spent a lot of time building the support structure to make it easy to remove and provide a much cleaner print than some of my previous protein models. I'm now going to work on something a little bit bigger and more complex.