This is a new design for a 120mm Single Stage EDF. I build it to be robust, Change the Turbine design and have settled on a air foil design for the fins.
Print heavy supports on the blade, the base uses supports but very minimal. I printed in PLA
I did nothing post to clean up. If you have access to a vibratory tumbler I would let them roll in that for a few hours to reduce ribbing.
PRoject: 120MM EDF
Objectives: is to build a modular 120mm Sized EDF. With the ability to change the fan blade to allow customization and find more efficient fan profiles.
◦Audiences: Recommend for High School level And Above. An interest in Engineering and or Flight will help.
◦Preparation: Prior knowledge of EDF or at least a little research on them would be good. Knowledge of RC class Electric motors would be recommended,.
◦Steps! I started by looking at photos of other EDF's. I noted that all the ones I found used a straight contoured fin rather than an airfoil. Also the Angle of attack was always the same and constant. Lastly the core that the fins attach to were way to big. So I decided to design MY own. I started with just a straight Airfoil. this worked but I did not care for the looks and I though I could get a more efficient blade. I modified the blade assemble 4 times until I settled on what I was happy with. I am running a RC370 motor and it runs lower RMPS than I would like but still moves a lot of Air. Wit the appropriate motor mated up and possible a more efficient blade, this should provide ample thrust to power an RC airplane.
◦Results: I build a working model, fit is good, balance is good. However I have learned I need a more powerful motor, perhaps stators at the bottom of the cowl to direct the Air. IT moves air very well on lower RPM's but I would like to run it in the 4500-10K RPM range to see what Thrust can be accomplished. I have learned that the Fan blade is the biggest part of this and I will continue to tweak it as much as I can to get the most thrust.