This part is an adapator to convert a Bowden system into a Direct drive one.
It is designed to be screwed on top of a AllInOne hot end support block.
There are 2 versions depending on the X carriage size:
- 1 for Scalar XL
- 1 for Scalar M
2016.01.19: update direct drive extruder body to fit M4 screw heads instead of M4 nuts hex fittings.
2015.12.28 - update the models, add some special parts called "ptfe" with a 7mm inner hole for a 6mm ptfe tube to be inserted inside. Also add some markings on the sides about what model/printer size it's for.
Curently in test:
- E3D adaptor model. It has a 7mm center hole so that we can fit a 6mm PTFE tube inside. Also the extruder body has been updated to also support this 7mm hole up to the Mk8 bolt location. The whole system requires a PTFE tube of about 55mm so that it can snap into the Bowden E3D hot end and be long enough to reach the MK8 drive gear.
- 2015.12.28 - AllInOne model is working fine up to now after a full week end of testing.
So far so good with the tests.
The good points:
- You need less retraction
- You have more torque applied directly on the filament
- Less or no strings are forming during movements
- You can use lower print temperature. (200°C instead of 210°C for example)
- The Extruder body has a built in Pneumatic bowden connector hole so that you can still use the PTFE tube and the spool holder from the previous bowden version of the printer. In this configuration the filament will be pulled from the ptfe tube instead of pushed inside.
- Print settings are easier to handle, it's a nice solution for a first printing experience.
- you can use more of your filament, and now recycle the 1meter left over from the previous bowden version due to the tube length.
- You loose some build height as the stepper motor is placed on top of the hotend wich is in direct axis with the top of the printer frame.
- You limit the printer ability to have fast mouvements and high accelerations
- with filament that breaks easily, it can be a nightmare if the filament is broken inside the extruder body.
This part is still an untested prototype, some adjustments might come in the coming days.
- 2015.12.26: Update of the E3D model. it has a 7mm center hole instead of just 4mm
- 2015.12.26: Add extruder body with a center hole of 7mm.
- 2015.12.22: Update models with small fixes. Also add a E3D adaptor for Scalar XL printer
3D Modular Systems
Evolutive 3D Printers
You enjoy it and want to help us with a donation: https://www.paypal.me/3DMS