A syringe extruder without any extra hardware. No extra motors, no extra anyhing from the hardware store! oh, yes, you need a washer or what i use now: a hose coupling and of course, you need syringes...
[sorry these are not the best pictures...]
- Print the file in nice colours.
- screw in on top of the ultimaker exruder head
- use the existing plunge or print a new one and use just the rubber
- now the trick: use the filament to push the plunge. For better retraction light the filemant and melt it to the plunge
- play a little with the settings [extruder speed must be a lot slower!] and start with simple shapes
- if the filament grinds, detach it from the plunge, cut 7 cm and melt again
what i still need is an extra thing to attach to the sliding blocks that could hit the end stops. It could be something very simple clicked or screw which you can remove easy when printing 'normal' again.
It should work more or less the same on a makerbot i think.
Let me know...!!