This is not my design!
It is from http://www.hovalin.com/
NOTE. Jan. 2018. Both my violins have now broken the tuning head off. I think it would be a good idea to loosen the strings when not in use. These two were kept tensioned up.
NOTE. Oct. 2016. This post is all about version 2 but Version 3 is now on their site.Go and have a look . I may print third one, a version 3 as I have the parts. I wonder is a purple violin is an idea????
I have modified the neck so it will fit on my Deltaprintr. This is yet to be tested as I'm only starting the marathon printing effort.
The bottom part is printing at the moment, and will take about 16 hours!
Then I have the next 2 body pieces and the 2 neck pieces to go. It will be interesting to see if it works, and maybe reprint in other materials to hear what difference that makes to the sound.
The bottom is finished but I moved the Deltaprintr slightly during the print :(
You can see the mark. I must reinforce the printer frame so it gets rid of the slight wobble and that will improve print quality.
As my printer was having trouble printing the neck pieces 1 and 2, I've modified it the 1A and 2A. This mod puts the join in an area that will have minimum stress on it, and will be reinforced with a couple of 3mm pins. I printed this out and it is ok but....
Never being one to leave well enough alone, here is version 3 of the neck.
This AM I realized if the dovetail joint was rotated 90 degrees my printer could do it.
20160110 I have changed Violin_Neck_3A.stl to include some support as I could not print it.
My version will be glued together with epoxy I think.
Have fun :)
I used some laser printer toner to make black epoxy but did not add enough for the first parts.
Also, when this black one was printed, the Deltaprinter speed setting was 100mm/sec and I think that is too fast. The string holes were filled in but were ok on the orange one printed at 60mm/sec.
A new orange base will need to be printed as the carbon rods do not fit past the offset in the print due to me moving the Deltaprintr.
I may just grind a bit off the rods but I think it would be best to print a new one.
See the original site for more info, and videos of it being played.
I think this is an amazing job. Many thumbs up to the designers.
Please note the following....
The hovalin is licensed as Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike. This means that you are welcome to modify and distribute the design and derivatives thereof. You must, however, maintain an open design and give credit to HOVA LLC with all derivatives and copies.
You may use the hovalin for commercial purposes if you agree to send 10% of your gross revenue from use of the design to HOVA LLC every six months. If you wish to use assets from the hovalin or hovalin.com for any reason, please contact us at [email protected]
The hovalin by HOVA LLC (www.hovalin.com) is licensed under a Creative Commons Non-Commerical Attribution ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License. Based on a work at hovalin.com
Layer Height: 0.3mm
Layer Height: 0.1mm
I am printing with orange PolyMax, 185C and 60mm/sec.
As I cut the neck into 2 parts, one may need support turned on.
This AM I managed to get the black one finished as the carbon fiber rods arrived.
Tonight I'll give it to my Granddaughter for her 11th birthday.
The orange electrified version is done.
It has three Piezo transducers in it, at various places. The selector switch has four positions. One for each Piezo and the last for all four together.
I really don't know if it will work yet. (My granddaughter may give it a try tomorrow.)
The neck being joined is still a problem, all in one piece would be better.
I have ended up using the version that has 2 pins to join it. The other one with the dovetail joint works ok, after some work on the printed parts, but the other is a bit easier.
There are some slight size discrepancies between the neck parts on my Deltaprintr, but a bit of after printing file work fixes that.
Note: I've found a cable tie to hold down the strings into their slots is needed as the slope of the tuning peg area would be better if t was tilted down a bit. This is a mod I may attempt later if I can get my "Round Tuit" working ;)
This is not my design, but from www.hovalin.com
I have used Tinkercad to cut the neck in half to fit my Deltaprintr.
If you use this, I would encourage you to donate to the original designers.