Here is an updated version of the instructions Brad provided for his previous version:
- Print the two parts (the base and the body either plain or with the logo)
- Attach a film grating to the upper side of the base
- Secure the base to the body with screws
- Mount it to your phone with removable glue dots or to a phone case with dark double-sided foam tape
- Use spectralworkbench.org to calibrate, save, and share your spectra.
If you use an extrusion printer such as a Mendel you will probably need to print with support if you want the text to show up. If anybody wants a version without the text, let me know and I will post it ASAP. Also, make sure you have your printer tuned up to print bridges and overhangs very well, because this thing is basically one huge overhang.
This is the grating I have used for the prototype. It is the linear style with 1000lines per mm: tinyurl.com/9tjrz8r . You can also use the film off of a CD, DVD, or BluRay as seen here: http://publiclab.org/tool/spectrometer