Loading
kebes22

Disposable Rocket

by kebes22 Aug 4, 2013
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

Thank you for doing this! I don't even particularly care if it works "well" or not. You have created something that can be customized as necessary. Thank you again!

Thank you for this design. Would you mind terribly to increase the guide circle that the rod/wire/dowel goes through please?

Question about why the fins are angled. Some kind of Gyroscopic thing?

Launch tomorrow.

works well when I printed it I had to size it to fit my a-11 and my b-12 though have not launched but working on my own version my self

These go mental :) seems 10x quicker than an average firework rocket. Using C-6 I personally cannot follow them by eye if I launch them in daytime as the move so quickly. In the night they are easier to follow. enjoy :) I get about 8/10 success with straight flights with the odd ones going haywire due to not getting the spin quickly enough so duck and hope it doesn't hit anyone or anything. Thanks

If you have some biodegradable filament use it because it is better for the environment.

Hi, how would I ignite the rocket in the cheapest way possible? Thanks

A thread of steel wool and a match head.

Using a fuse and a match

What model should I use for Estas A motors

If they are the small A's or 1/2A's, then use the A file, if they are the bigger A's that are the same size as B and C's, then use the B files

Thanks! I made them today and they flew great! Here is a video, https://youtu.be/9tPOACmNvkM

Awesome design, minimum dead weight!
Have you ever tested the 2-stage setup on the ground to see if the ejection charge reliably starts the second stage engine?
I did see the 2-stage launch video, but it is hard to tell if it has really worked.

I have launched several 2 stage rockets, and they have always worked great. I have never needed to ground test, because it is easy to see and hear in person that it is igniting the second stage. In the video it obviously isn't as easy to tell.

These are fun. A great thing to do with those left over engines after your kids lose their rocket.

will this work with c motors

What about b motors?

I scaled up the model to 1.1 in Cura to fit an A motor. My friend had a couple C's laying around. I had to carve away some of the casing with a pocket knife on the C motor to fit but it worked.

Comments deleted.

Hello!
Love this project and will be using it with my 8th grade Science students. I would love for them see the difference in flight time and altitude with different sized nose cones and/ or fins - is there any way to alter this file?

You could just change it simply in tinkercad

Nice rocket, made a few. Scale to 1.4 for a c engine. Would really like to see this with straight fins also. We did not recover any pieces of the c-11. Thanks

Just flew it, it worked great came down great with A and C engines but the nose cone is gone :( Don't print in green (don't ask how I found out)

let me guess, you couldn't find it in the grass

Lol the cap is gonna fly off when the eject charge comes :)

Do you have a source code for it (openscad preferred)? I printed it, but the overhang angle of the fins is close to what I am able to print (Prusa i3, Formfutura filament), and the edges of the fins were uneven. So I would like to modify the fins to have less overhang.

Finally got to fly the models I made back in Jan / Feb. Worked a treat - went straight up without a problem!

are the angled fins supposed to produce spin? I am kind of a rocket noob and don't really know if the spin is good for the launch.

Yes, spinning makes it go strait

this rocket set worked great. I used a b6 rocket engine to shoot off the rocket and it easily went 800ft or higher. Very impressed i would recommend trying it out

I have not flown one of these yet but they look like fun. I'm printing one now.

The engine was to big, it didn't fit. I had to dremel it out.

Most printers smash the first layer a little. I found that just scraping the opening with a razor blade usually fixes the problem. If not you can probably scale it up a tiny bit in your software so you don't have to dremel it.

I ended up taking off a few layers of paper from the engine, it fit together fine then. I couldn't find my old controller so I built a new one, I had to build a launch pad too. I set it off today, and I found the body when it came down, surprisingly everything held together okay. The bottom is reusable and it didn't melt, but the nose got destroyed. I'm going to make more, I'll try to remember to post pics.

how are you launching these rockets?

With a bamboo skewer in a piece of wood. A regular rocket launch pad should work fine too.

Are you just putting a piece of fuse in the bottom of the engine and lighting it on fire?

Yeah, the first ones were launched using a piece of fuse, before I built an electric launcher. I just stole the fuses from some old fireworks.

:-) very neat idea.... i have 4X A10-3T engines awaiting in my tool-box......fins already printing.... 5....4...3..2.1.Zero

Thanks. Let me know how they fly for you.

what kind of estes engine should i put in

Any of the A/B/C sizes should work, 1/2A's and some A's are smaller, and require the smaller nose cone and fins. I have found that the ones that are more filled (usually a higher first number) tend to fly better because the weight is more toward the nose.

Letter is thrust (B is 2x of an A and C is 2x of a B) First number is burn time. Second number is fuse before ejection charge. If u are doing multi-stage use an engine with 0 fuse