As evidenced by the title, this is in fact a working LEGO Brick Separator. (Pardon the typo in the .STL file. I'm an engineering student NOT an English Major!!! :) ) I figured that it would be a solid calibration piece for my new set of calipers and frankly it works like a dream. As indicated by the instructions, this does unfortunately need supports to print effectively and should optimally be printed upside down to avoid slicer errors. (The side with the axle on it) I was tempted to upload .3w file as well for fellow XYZ users, but I opted to not to for the purpose of avoiding confusion. If anyone needs it, feel free to message me and I'll forward it to you ASAP! Thanks to macswiney for the .gcode contribution. His version is optimized for the Monoprice Mini, but should work for most other machines.
Sophomore, Wilson High School
West Lawn, Pennsylvania
XYZ Printing DaVinci Jr. 1.0
For those of you not familiar with the DaVinci Jr., it is a pretty good starter printer, however it is a bit lacking in the resolution department and frankly XYZware is a NIGHTMARE!!!! As a result I have a feeling, especially if you have a printer with soluble support material, that your overall print quality is going to be a bit better than mine. I haven't tried this with ABS, as I lack the capability to test it, however given that the original part was made with ABS I feel it may actually yield the superior product. However, I would not recommend thinning the layer height, as it could make the handle unreasonably thin and prone to breakage.
This should be printed at 100% scale. If for some reason it decides to get a bit squirrley on you, the depth should be about .62 inches.
At medium quality, this took about an hour to print, but this will vary based on printer and materials.
Remove the support material like you would on any other part. A craft knife may be useful in this process. If you have soluble filament, use the appropriate solvent to remove that. Sandpaper can also be used to attain a smooth finish, though given the nature of the part, I would not recommend painting it. If you opt to use an acetone bath with ABS, make sure to monitor the part, as leaving it in for too long could dissolve the two little tabs on the bottom of the part, rendering it unusable!
I used Inventor 2016 and a sample piece to reverse engineer the part and make a few modifications of my own. (The .ipt is available upon request, but for most purposes a basic mesh editor can be used for customization)