I've been creating a sculpture, the Anywhere Organ http://anywhereorgan.tumblr.com , for the past year or so. It's gone through many iterations, modifications, revisions, and changes over time but is finally coming together into a predictable, robust sculpture.
I designed these parts as a system to take salvaged organ pipes and create them into a huge extended instrument, networked together and controlled by MIDI. Organ enthusiasts have been saving dismantled pipe organs from the dumpster for years, but many don't have the time or resources to use all the parts they acquire. I've found they've been very eager to have me take random or incomplete sets off their hands. As my own collection grows I'm hoping to add to the Anywhere Organ, eventually having the mobile equivalent of a cathedral organ I can take anywhere from an underground cave, to an abandoned theater, to a fire escape and play.
I've been doing a Kickstarter trying to raise funds for the next bigger, better version. Please give it a look, tell your friends, and donate. http://kck.st/anywhereorgan
All of the DXF's are designed to be cut centerline on an industrial laser out of 3/4" nom. (.719") indoor plywood.
This document was created as a way to release what I've learned and built through designing the Anywhere Organ. It is not intended to be a tutorial. It is intended to help folks get on their way to building their own organs, laser cut instruments, and huge awesome things. At some point I may tutorialize, but the path to the design I now have has been so long and winding it is difficult to put down concisely into a Thing.
Pipe measurements - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuWvxqr4pSoPdEh6S2tBc2F5dDJHay1QMGpQeXhDVnc
J-Omega datasheet - https://docs.google.com/open?id=1qrDPlLQ-b_A5NW8xqN-bVMHawieXjgAGcUsercOHIYpsrcDmXVQVB3DpKhNW
Example wiring diagram - https://docs.google.com/open?id=1C_NjTzRz5Y2gF9UQd_zc5OEGZFNR1PHSNUK5nNTj1AGVSJbiNWzJ-83PTrat
49 Diapason pipes
10 AC mattress inflator motors
49 Reisner direct action magnetic valves - http://www.mmdigest.com/Tech/mValves.html
1 rectifier capable of sinking a large variable load (I sourced a small organ rectifier)
1 J-Omega MTP8 midi to parallel converter - http://www.j-omega.co.uk/MTP/mtp.shtml
7 5ft M/F DB9 extension cords
7 25ft M/F DB9 extension cords
500ft outdoor lighting cord
The original design called for 12VDC blower motors. I found they drew way too much current when hooked in parallel. I believe AC motors with rheostats would work better, but am not absolutely certain. I ended up modifying my own prototype to work with a small organ blower piped to everything through 3" flexible duct. This eliminates the need for the motors and outdoor lighting cord.
I haven't found a reliable way to put LED's in series with the magnetic valves to get a visual indication of what note is playing when. The current generated by the valve flipping back off seems to damage them no matter what arrangement I try. The holes in the front of each box were originally intended to hold the LED's.
I've provided files without legs or scrollwork as the design is simpler to understand and assemble. As I continue developing the current version I will release more designs and iterations.
All screws (the ~1/8" holes strewn about the design) are 1 1/2" wood screws and should be counter sunk flush. Given the weight of the baritone and bass boxes, the support structures for the pipes have a habit of stripping their screws. I found putting a dab of urethane glue on the tip of the screw before returning it to its hole helped fill in the stripped material and prevented delamination and splitting.
Each box containing the valves was sealed internally with silicone caulk. The access panel on the front has a gasket of adhesive foam to keep air leaks to a minimum. The brackets holding the pipes also have foam padding to keep the pipes from getting scuffed and damaged in transit.
The zip contains all of my Solidworks files and spreadsheets. They were designed in SW09 Sp0. Most parts are either derived from the assembly or configurations that are selected by that assembly. It has a habit of breaking in a cascading mess if you don't rebuild the individual parts when changing constraints on an assembly. Changes to the spreadsheet should directly reflect on the pipe box assembly. This should making boxes for new pipe sizes fairly simple.