Soyuz TMA Rocket - MakerEd Project
by mattiasZ, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is a replica Soyuz TMA Rocket. The Soyuz rocket is what currently takes cosmonauts and astronauts into space and the International Space Station (ISS). The model is created with relatively basic shapes and functions.
For more information about the project, keep reading in the following sections.
How I Designed This
Before I began to design this model, I wanted to compile a small database/folder of pictures based on the real rocket itself. I found most of these images from Google and several other sites, such as this - http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/soyuz.html.
Once I had found the images I began the creation process. I wanted the model to look realistic and use relatively simple shapes and functions to create it. With this in mind, for the bulk of the project I used 123D Design (http://www.123dapp.com/design) and Tinkercad (https://www.tinkercad.com). I utilized 123D to create the main rocket structure and fuselage. To do this I took advantage of the loft feature and the extrude feature that the software offers. While using 123D Design, I made sure that each section was its own entity so when I exported it into Tinkercad I would be able to color it. In 123D, I also used the scale function, merge, and sketch tools.
As stated previously, after 123D Design, I exported the file to Tinkercad so I could use some of its shapes to create the first stage rocket boosters. Also, I used 123D to color the model.
Project: Soyuz TMA Rocket
- Create a Soyuz Rocket replica
- Utilize several functions from Tinkercad and 123D Design
- Use multiple programs to create the model
- Anyone who likes space, rockets, technology, and 3D!
- Anyone who would like to learn basic 3D Design and tools
- Compile a folder of reference images
- Break down design process into several steps/goals
- Learn about specific functions used in the model/project (i.e. loft, extrude, fill, etc.)
- Find images or other models of the vehicle, and create a folder to reference your model too during the design process.
- Create your goals for the project, and set what functions/tools you will use for each aspect for the project. For example, 'I will use the loft function for the main rocket fuselage'.
- Learn some functions that you are not familiar with. For instance, loft function, or pattern function.
- Design and create the model and color!
Once yopu have finished building the model, you will have a nice Soyuz TMA Rocket model, and more importantly you will have learned many useful 3D design functions.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Soyuz TMA Rocket - MakerEd Project by mattiasZ is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving mattiasZ a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure mattiasZ would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).