3Dator Bowden Extruder
by 3Dator, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is bowden type extruder. It is designed to be in a small formfactor, support hard Filaments like old PLA, but also print flexible materials like Ninjaflex. It uses 1.75mm filament. With the opener you can release the stress from the filament to change it quickly.
The Parts are designed to be printed without Supports.
It can be mounted on the outside of your printer with the adapter. The adapter mounting holes are compatible with the Airtripper Bowden Extruder.
Also you could mount it in your Case like in the 3Dator. The stepper motor goes inside and the extruder outside. The material between should be 4-5mm.
See how it is put together here (German):
See the Printer in action printing Ninjaflex here:
If you don't like to get all parts yourself you can buy the extruder here (Germany only):
- Optimised filament channel for better flow.
- Again optimised filament channel (works best with mk7 gear for 1.75mm filament)
- added a file with the complete extruder ready to print
- added a hook with a hole to see what your mk7 gear is doing and check if it is aligned (Thanks to 50koruny for the idea)
- added a mirrored version for dual extruders to our github repo: https://github.com/3Dator/3dator/tree/master/stl/extra/extruder_mirrored
- updated the tightener to use M3 self-locking nuts (we noticed the squere nuts are too loose and won't always remain in the desired position) You can find the old file still on github: https://github.com/3Dator/3dator/blob/1e32c3fe1a329b2f864e2268b2501e233c2439be/stl/extruder/tightener.stl
You can find the complete file history in our github repository:
Push fittings 4mm M5:
Mk7 Extruder Gear:
We always print this with 3 perimeters to make it stronger.
To get better results with the M3 holes in extruder_base we closed them with 2 layers. Just open them again with a drill.
Bill of materials
Beside the pla for printing the parts you will need the following parts:
1x MK7 gear for 1.75mm filament
2x M3 self locking nuts
2x M3 40mm screws
3x M3 25mm screws
1x PTFE fitting PC4-M5 (M5 screw, for 4mm ptfe tube)
1x Nema 17 Stepper Motor
If you want to use a MK8 drive gear instead of a mk7 check out the remix of 50koruny:
He also added a "window" to have a look inside to see what's going on.
Finding the right tension
This Extruder is supporting a wide spectrum of different filaments.
Usually you only need to tighten one screw, which makes it more easy to find the right tension. For Filaments, that need to get squeezed quite hard, like old PLA or Ninjaflex you should tighten up both screws.
For printing Ninjaflex, you may print the Extruder Base with a nozzle as fine as possible and with a 0,1 mm layer height.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
3Dator Bowden Extruder by 3Dator is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving 3Dator a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure 3Dator would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).