Steampunk-ish goggles designed to work with 52mm camera lens filters. These are prototypes. The finished design is almost complete, but I wanted to get something of the final design posted before Dragon*Con. The octopus on the side of the blue strap shield didn't print too well at 0.2mm layer height on my boss's Replicator2, but with some handwork, it should turn out ok.
If you buy 52mm color filter camera lenses from Amazon, they will fit in the front. I need to do some redesign so that the filters will fit snugly in the tube. Currently they need to be glued into place, which is a bummer, but they sure do look nifty.
Put together the goggles after painting+sealing them. They look good, although I think I'm going to have to reprint the top tube and redesign it so the filter sits inside comfortably. We'll see how it goes!
Aug 26: Replaced the previous top-tube piece with a new one. It snugly holds the 52mm filter I bought (I based it on the lens I ordered from Amazon - search for Goja camera lens filter and it'll show up).
I printed 9 pieces in total - two wings, two lens holders, two front tube pieces, two buckles, and one bridge/nose-piece. The goggles are symmetric (no left-right) and are assembled using 2.5M x 30 or 35mm long bolts and nuts (which can be ordered from McMaster-Carr if your Lowes or Home Depot doesn't carry them).
I designed a few different-length bridges. I found that the 20mm bridge is best for me, but I'm not petite. One of the smaller ones might work better for smaller people.
The octopus on the side didn't print perfectly, but I enjoyed making it. I've got some variations in mind for future updates.
I used Valspar Primer for Plastics spray (2 coats) and will use Testers Enamel model paint to get the proper look.
I will use 25mm (1inch) elastic straps for these goggles (that's a blatant borrow from guyc's excellent steampunk goggles - see the derived from section for a link).